Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:40:41 -0500
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      A Proposal, "Top of the World, 2000"
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, vintagebus@type2.com

As spring rolls around this year and the Westfalias come out of hibernation all across the more frigid parts of the land, one's mind turns to camping and all things summer.

Mine particularly due to my current life situation, as this is the last summer I'll have off for likely 7-8 years. Anyway I've been on the mailists forever now I guess, and have watched many a good trip come and go back when I was working and had no vacation time. As this break between my first and second years of med school is my last chance while relatively young to take an epic trip, I'm going to do so, and I intend to for at least part of that trip, duplicate the "Top of the Word Tour" route of Tobin, Ron, and all the others back in 1996 as I wanted to go badly at that time.

I know this isn't particularly original, and frankly I'm doing a summer long trek around the country in general as well as this, but I got to thinking that there have not been any really epic group or personal Bus camping journeys now in a few years reported on the list. I think that stinks, and I'm ready to take up the task of organizing something to do about it.

My basic thoughts are to pretty much duplicate the '96 route and to do it around the same time this summer, say starting early/mid July 2000. I understand only too well how hard it is for most people to arrange a big enough block of time to do something like this, but would be happy to have anyone interested get in touch with me.

I thought they were doing the Tierra del Fuego? thing or whatever this year but that has either got lost in the shuffle or is next year, so if anyone wants to celebrate summer 2000 in northern style, get back with me.

Anyway, I'm posting to all the lists, seriously interested parties who can actually take a month off (not including getting to Vancouver and back) please contact me. I also don't know a damn thing about that side of the north country which is why I want to do it there, not on the east coast, so anyone with intimate knowledge of the area who can suggest routes, improvements, etc, please chime up.

The route and info about the first trip can be found on:

http://www.vanagon.com/journeys/inuvik/index.html

If we get enough interest going, perhaps I'll start up another little list to handle planning. Also if there is interest in doing something like a couple week Baja trip instead, I'm all for that as well. I'd prefer to go north but it doesn't really matter to me. Like I said I'm going to do it alone regardless but Bus/Vanagon company is always good company to have.

John Anderson jander14@wvu.edu (just bought an '82 Westy last night for the very event)