Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:46:06 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: head gaskets
Comments: To: "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>

You know, all this recent chatter about head gaskets has me wondering... Would it be insane to consider doing a head gasket job BEFORE they get pitted and leaking as a sick form of preventative maintenance?

I'm confident that mine are in good shape (about 45,000 miles since new), but I want to ensure a long and happy life (unless I win the lottery; then I can put in the same set up that Michael Sullivan is working on) :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA

If yours is anything like mine was you are going to have to sand anyway if you use the JB Weld for the pitts. Just use a fairly large GOOD hard and flat sanding block and you will be ok. If God is smiling on you and you have no pitts the gunk from the old gasket can be easily removed with Carb Cleaner and a wire brush.