Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:58:34 -0700
From:         "Blake C. Thornton" <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Accident problems - melted wiring?

If you remember, a while back I got hit in the back and got my van all fixed up. Or so I thought.

Yesterday, my van just died on me. It had absolutely no power. There was absolutely no response from the throttle. The engine was moving, but not very fast. I couldn't believe that it was actually running. But it was dead- it wouldn't move.

I didn't have time to look at it then, but last night I went to take a look at it and tried to start it and it started. So I let it run and went and poked around in the engine compartment. Oh yeah, its an 84. Anyhow I find that the heat shield that covers the muffler is not attached to the rear of the van and there is a 2-3 inch gap between the shield and the rear sheet metal. There is wiring that is supposed to (I think it is anyhow) lay on top of this heat shield and my wires have fallen and the outer sheath that protects a large group of wired is scorched. So, I crack the sheath and look at the wires and look OK. Not melted, but the sheath is all black and screwed up.

Anyhow, I pull the wires up from the muffler and strap them to something to keep them from dangling and drive off. I made it a few blocks before I start having the same symptoms, but now its a bit more intermitant: no response, no power. I do make it home.

So, I'm thinking that even though the heat did not melt the wires completely through, I think the wires have some shorts in them. Thus, when I step on the throttle, the the air flow meter is not able to tell the ECU to feed the engine gas, therefore no repsonse.

Anyone buy this theory? Anyone have a different one?

If I am right, I need to replace these wires. Do I need a completely new wiring harness or can I get by with a splice? Could this have screwed anything else up?

I am going to do my best to make the shop pay for this, but we'll see if I am assertive enough.

Thanks for any opinions on this matter,

Blake 84 westy Salt Lake City