Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:25:21 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sportsmobile
Comments: To: Scott Semyan <scottse@MICROSOFT.COM>

Scott:

There are probably about two dozen of these puppies running around here in Santa Barbara. (One of the preferred Soccer Mom vehicles I guess, along with the Suburbans and Humvees)

All of the owners I have chatted with are very pleased with them. I talked to one guy up in the Sierras who had passed me going about 60 on a steep hill (pulling a trailer LOADED with about 6 kayaks, 4 bikes, and about 1,000 lbs of other gear). I caught up with him at the next gas station and we chatted about how great pop-tops are. As it turned out, his gas mileage wasn't that different from our Syncro - about 15 MPG on the Highway (though a lot worse around town). It was a 4WD version built on a Ford chassis, and had huge winches mounted front and back. He spent about $50k on it and was on his maiden voyage.

They have very roomy interiors that seem to be well thought out. Nice and clean, like a Westy (not like a typical RV) much more utilitarian looking. Some of the real nice touches include things like climate control (heat and AC) while camping, auxiliary power subsystems, spacious reefer, and a good kitchen layout.

I have to confess, I would love to have one, since when it comes to REALLY rugged off-road use, my confidence has always come from American iron... (and 35" tires...) :-)

I'll never part with the Syncro, though! :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Scott Semyan > Sent: Friday, March 24, 2000 10:19 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Sportsmobile > > > I know this might be a sacrilegious question but does anyone have any > experience with Sportsmobile (http://www.sportsmobile.com/ > <http://www.sportsmobile.com/> )? They used to provide > conversions build off > of VW busses back in the 60's. Now they make camper vans built off of > standard passenger vans (Ford, Chevy, etc.). They have many different > layouts to choose from including one that mirrors the layout > of a Westie > (pop top and all). I am the owner of an '85 Westie that I am > happy with but > as I approach a time when my wife and I will be doing some extended > traveling in the van, I am concerned about the reliability of > the engine and > transmission. I would love to take the van to Alaska or even > on the trip to > South America but I can't imagine getting there without > serious mechanical > difficulties. The last thing I want is to be stranded on the highway > somewhere. > > Here is why the Sportsmobile vehicles interest me: > 1) You can get them made from of a new van with a brand > new motor you > choose (V8, Diesel, Turbo Diesel, etc.) that any mechanic can work on. > 2) You can choose the type of transmission from limited slip > differentials to even a four wheel drive option (after market). > 3) Because the vehicles are so "standard" parts are > cheaper and easier > to find. > 4) They have 40 pre made designs for the interior and > you have the > option of designing a custom interior. > 5) Did I mention you can get a V-8 engine? > > Ok, here are the negatives: > 1) Price. These things are expensive. But they are not much more > expensive then a Eurovan (unless you add a bunch of options > like 4 wheel > drive - then they get very expensive). > 2) American Made. Let's face it. The Germans know how to engineer > things (except water cooled boxter engines :-)). The American > made vans are > just not as well crafted and innovative as the Vanagons are. > 3) Gas mileage. That V-8 comes at a price. > 4) No mailing list. The existence of this list was one > of the factors > that led me to purchasing a Vanagon. I doubt such a list exists for > Sportsmobile owners (although with standard engines and > transmissions, dare > I say they might not have as many discussions about alternative engine > choices and head gasket problems?). > > I know this is slightly off topic for Vanagons. That is why I > posted on > Friday. I don't want to be seen as bashing the Vanagon but I am just > interested in some options. > > Here is the photo and story that caught my attention: > http://www.sportsmobile.com/4x4/truktren.htm > <http://www.sportsmobile.com/4x4/truktren.htm> >

[text/html]