Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:47:49 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Optima Batteries
Comments: To: Steve Manning <smanning@EXECPC.COM>

The problem with the relay is not that it will cause charging problems, but rather that it is undersized to safely handle the potential current flowing to/from the battery.

Your problem is possibly due to chronic over or undercharging, or perhaps the relay has failed completely, and therefore the battery is not charging at all.

BTW, these gel-type batteries are very picky about charge voltages.

Brent Christensen

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Manning To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: 3/22/2000 8:27 AM Subject: Optima Batteries

Hello list members,

I have a question on installing an Optima Battery for anyone who already has one installed. Checking the archives, I noticed on list member stated you need to replace the 30 amp relay under the drivers seat with a bigger relay as well as a #8 wire from the alternator to the relay.

Right now, I have a 32 amp hr battery with the standard westy 30 amp relay and would like to know if anyone is still using this relay/wire setup with an Optima without upgrading. I follwed the instructions from the Vanagon site and had no problems until this year when the battery just won't hold a charge anymore.

TIA -steve

[text/html]