Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 2000 07:43:51 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Does Fridge on 120v make any noise???
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

>I'm going through a "systems" check on the '87 before we camp in it for the >first time. I'm working on the fridge....and have a couple of questions...

>1. When you turn it on to 120v...does it make any noise like a house-type >fridge? or is it silent?

All modes (12v, 120v, propane) are silent except for when the cooling fan comes on. It is not activated by any one of the modes. It comes on only dependent on the air temperature behind the fridge. In fact it will come on in hot climates even when the fridge is off (and can run your battery down in climates that stay hot for long periods of time while the van is parked for a long period and not the battery not recharged by the alternator running). It is good to check this fan since they are subject to burning up. One way is to take off the air vent grill next to the rear table. Then position a hair dryer to blow into the space behind the fridge. Try to aim it at the upper bank of cooling fins... that's where the thermo switch for the fan is located. Come back maybe every half hour for a while.... shut off the hair dryer and try to hear the cooling fan.. it is a quite distinct noise.

>2. How long does it take to cool down?

Depends on how warm it is to start with. In Lake Tahoe in the winter it is cooled down instantly :) Most people find that plugging the fridge in and letting it run over night gets it cooled down pretty good. Then put cold food in it and you are off on your trip. After about and hour you should be able to feel the cooling fins inside the fridge getting cold.

Bill > > >Thanks. > >Ric >