Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:42:36 -0800
From:         Amy Silberman <asilber@SIRIUS.COM>
Subject:      '90 Vanagon Carat "cut out" problem

About 4 months ago I bought a '90 Vanagon Carat and have recently experienced problems which the previous owners had experienced in '96. When going up a long hill after about 1/2 hour of driving the van suddenly loses power (ie. the gas is floored and I can't go above 40mph). I have taken a couple of day trips and one 3 day trip from San Francisco to Cambria down the coast and back up. I experienced no problems on this trip however is was raining and quite cold the whole time we were driving. The problem first occured three weeks ago taking a trip into the valley where the temperatures were warmer than the usual SF cool. While going up a hill there was a sound like a cork popping and then a great decrease in power as well as the engine sound dropping from its normal hum to a very low hum. Shortly after this, black smoke began to come out of the tailpipe. It was a very long 2 hour drive back home with the black smoke and the car topping out at about 45-50. We then stopped for about 20 minutes after which the car was fine. My mechanic looked at it and said he didn't know what it was. Today I went out again to a warmer area with a spare computer, and of course this happened again, and swapping the computers didn't help. Does anyone know what this problem could be or does anyone know of any materials other than the Bentley book that I could get on Digifant systems. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated Amy S.