Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:48:21 EST
From:         Michael Wagner <MW575@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Finally - a good solution to the Shreddy Cord Seats

I finally have found and implemented a great solution to the shreddy corduroy upholstery I had, and I know others are suffering with (as well as just plain worn out upholstery too).

I stripped one of my seats of its existing upholstery and sent it off to an outfit called Custom Interiors (a division of Autocraft) in Massachusetts. Their phone number is (800) 423-6053. They ripped out the seams, made a pattern (which they now have on file for the rest of you) and made me two new sets that are almost identical to original construction, which I just re-installed and they look terrific. The total cost for both, including shipping was $158.50

Custom Interiors has a wide variety of velour, tweed and vinyl materials. When I told them the color I was looking for, they sent me some samples of the fabrics they had in the color range so I'd be sure of what I was getting. I went with a dark brown velour with dark brown vinyl for the seat backs and bottoms.

The covers look and fit like the original, and really wasn't all that hard to install. I did have to buy a hog-ring plier, and some hog-rings to re-install, and of course, you have to completely dis-assemble the seats to do this - but the effort was really worth it. I would strongly advise anyone with the interior upholstery blues to do this over other options like seat covers (which I have done before and they looked like crap within months). If anyone has any questions about something I haven't covered, p-mail me.