Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:42:23 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine stops running at red lights
Comments: To: Julie Tremblay <julietre@MMIC.NET>

Julie, all the 1988 vanagon based vehicles, including the '88 Westfalia had 2.1 liter fuel injected wasserboxer engines. (affectionately known by list members sometimes as wasserleakers due to their propensity to have leaking coolant seals.... or WBX)

Unless your engine was modified with carburetors, there should be only a Digifant Fuel Injection System present. It is pretty straight forward. Pretty simple in operation. Pretty automatic in its operation.

I can't answer to a WBX retrofitted with a carburetor, but if it does in fact have fuel injection, the idle might be a little low...900rpm would be better. Also, if the Digifant system is present, you idle problem at stops is probably due to a faulty idle stabilizer valve. The stabilizer keeps the engine idling on cold starts and under certain other conditions, like when the engine drops back to idle at a stop light. The valve can actually be fully functional but if the idle mixture is not properly adjusted so the proper rpm is maintained, the engine will die at every stop. The mixture must be set to idle at 900 to 950 rpm. On the fuel injection system there is a funny little device that is toward the rear of the vehicle, and mounted on the fuel injection system. It lays horizontal crossways to the vehicle. On the left end there is a connector. After warming the engine thoroughly, turn the engine off, then disconnect that wire. Start the engine. If the idle mixture is proper, it should idle at 900 to 950 rpm. If the engine dies, the mixture needs adjusting. There is a large screw slot on the throttle body that is the mixture control. I am trying to recall, but it seems you have to turn that screw to the left but one way will increase it the other will decrease the mixture. When you have it idling again at 900 to 950 rpm, shut the engine down, reconnect the idle stabilizer connection and start it back up. It should idle smoothly if the stabilizer is ok. If not, just disconnect and go about your business until you can replace it. The engine will be hard to start when cold because it won't idle until warmed up.

Get yourself a copy of the Bentley publication for Vanagons. The Westfalia's are in there.

Now, if in fact you do have a carburetor, I can't help, but maybe some other list member can.

But I think it's a poor mechanic who would swap a really good fuel injection system for a carburetor. Fuel injection systems are much more fuel efficient than carburetors.

Good luck.

John Rodgers "88 GL Driver