Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:02:45 -0500
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Engine stops running at red lights

Julie Tremblay wrote:

> Hi everybody, > > I'm new on the list so here's a quick intro: I live in Montreal, Quebec, > and own (with my boyfriend) a '88 Westfalia. We have it since 1996. We > bought it from a "mecanician" who did some work on it.... let's say we > had to put some money, and then more, to get it back in shape! At least, > now we know a little bit more about buying used vehicules... > > We have a weird problem since a couple of summer: whenever we slow down > for a stop sign or red light, or sometimes when making a turn, the > engine just stops. We hear a little click, and then nothing!

Welcome Julie, Assuming that your van normally runs well otherwise, the most likely cause of you problems is the throttle switch. This switch is located on the bottom side of the throttle. Its purpose is to inform the engine management computer (Digifant ECU) that the engine at idle (it also makes contact at full throttle but that is not important to your problem). To have this switch fail is quite common and it is cheap and easy to replace. With the engine NOT running, you might be able to hear the switch open and close by holding your ear near the throttle switch and moving the throttle by hand. It should click when closed and when fully open.

Before I go any further, let me say that there is a tool that will help you solve this problem and many others too. It is made by Darrell Boehler mailto:midwesty@MIDWEST.NET and the tool is described on his site: http://scribers.midwest.net/midwesty/vw/Vanagon/DigiFantTool/ The last time I checked, the tool costs $US100 and it is worth every cent and more. I cannot say enough to praise this useful little device.

If your problem is not the throttle switch, then you need to look at the idle stabilizer relay and the idle stabilizer valve. The former (located behind the right rear tail light) has a habit of frying a critical transistor. It is cheap and easy to repair. The latter (top center of engine) has a bad habit of getting plugged with crud from the crankcase ventilator. This can be easily cleaned with carb cleaner.

> We will take a look at the carburator to see if it needs to be cleaned. > or would a new carburator kit resolve the problem?

Unless you have some imported model, '88 vanagons sold in this country do not have carburetors. They are equipped with a fuel injection system that is controlled by the Digifant ECU.

> We were also thinking > maybe the gas pump needs to be changed.

This pump is expensive. Look elsewhere for the cause of your problems. Besides if the fuel pump was failing, it would more likely case bad driving performance at highway speeds rather than at idle.

> The engine idles at around 800 > rpm - is that ok?

A bit low. I think spec is 950.

> Did someone already had this problem?

Many, many, many have had your problems. If I am wrong on my speculations then others will surely help you through this stalling problem.

> Anyone has any idea of what we > should be checking before we get ruined at the mecanics?!? > > Thanks! > > Julie Tremblay > Montreal, Quebec > Westfalia '88

Larry Johnson Haliburton Highlands, Ontario '86 Syncro Westfalia Camper '86 Syncro Doublecab Pickup