Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:45:16 EST
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sliding door screens comparison?
Comments: To: speakerdesign@uswest.net

> Date: 03/25/2000 2:50:35 PM CDT > From: speakerdesign@USWEST.NET (Jeff Hammerstrom) > > Has anybody seen the sliding door screen from Go Westy? Any > comparison to the one Bus Depot sells? The Go Westy one is a > bit cheaper. I want to buy a tent for my '90 Westy and was > curious which one is better. > Thanks

Not quite what you asked, but I have a screen from Triad Magnetic Van Screens. It has flexible magnetic strips around the edges, (plus a little velcro), and it attaches to the outside of the van.

I kind of liked it at first - it's a lot better than nothing - but now I'm a lot less sure about it. The magnets stick poorly. It often falls down when we try to open (unzip) it - we've started clothespinning it to the drip rail. It's hard to store - the magnetic strips don't fold well, and after about 2 years they've now broken where we folded them. The way the screen fits, you can't close the door with it on - if you want a few minutes of privacy in the van (to change clothes, for example), the screen has to come off.

Better than nothing, but not a design I'd reccomend. (I feel rather bad saying that, since the woman who makes them at Triad is so nice.) It's one of the least expensive options, though - about $50 or 60, shipped.

On the other hand, I have the Triad screens for the two front side windows - same basic magnetic-strip-around-the-edge design - and they work fine. The difference is that nobody's trying to walk through them, the windows can be rolled up with the screens on, and there's a "tab" on the top that's clamped between the door and the frame, so they don't fall down.

I got the window screens from J.C. Whitney, and the door screen directly from Triad.

-Steven Sittser