Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:30:25 -0700
From:         frank & susan malinowski <yakers@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Downsizing?

Well I've done it, gone crazy or having a mid life crises or maybe seeing things cleanly (take your choice) but I went and bought a 1985 Westy in great condition from Dr Vic in southern California. Its brown, has the extra middle pivoting seat, and an automatic. Our cars are usually stick ( my Ford Taurus SHO and wife's Miata) but we consciously selected an automatic since we do not plan to be in a hurry when we use the Westy and will have something to use in the occasional high traffic trips to downtown LA or the airport. We will be taking our first 'camping' trip this weekend when we are going to Newport Dunes our 11 year old son's favorite place in the world. This is not roughing it as the restrooms are cleaned several times a day, there is a load of activities and the camp store is about the size of a small Safeway. But we love it and pretend that we really live there whenever we can. My thanks to Stephen Arbugh and Mark Mages and a few others who sent along some wonderfully detailed advice in response to an earlier question I had posted when starting out in this process. Never had a Westy or any VW before so I appreciate their assistance in trying to get up on the knowledge curve. We will be looking for a whole slew of additions like tents, roof racks, lighting, heating and the like as we get more familiar with the Westy. Our last RV was a Class C which after 11 years we decided it is just too big for us. Especially after the departure of the older son to the SF Bay area. The biggest adjustment will be the loss of the internal potty, the thermostatically controlled heat and the internal space. The tent attachment would probably help a good bit. Anyone have advice on adjusting to downsizing from a bigger motor home to a Westy?

"A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure..." - Albert Einstein