Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:05:42 -0800
From:         Ty Graham <TyG@OZ.NET>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions on how to fasten a laptop while driving?
Comments: To: ed <edevinney@bigfoot.com>

Speaking of microphones. You can use the flex arms from the Hella lights to rig up a sano mike for cell phone hands free like my buddy did. You could use this same hook up for improved voice recognition for a PC, MAC or AutoPC.

Ty

-----Original Message----- From: ed [mailto:edevinney@bigfoot.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 6:19 PM To: Ty Graham; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Suggestions on how to fasten a laptop while driving?

Interesting stuff. FWIW, I get great results playing MP3s and DVDs off my Powerbook G3 through some half-decent equipment at home (Adcom electronics, B+W Matrix 2 speakers); the price premium for Mac hardware sometimes has real value :-)

I'm experimenting now with speech recognition to control the Mac, biggest problem so far is a microphone for the high-noise automotive environment. In my car, I'm just using the passenger seat belt to hold the box down, but will likely go with velcro. In the Vanagon, I will bungee the box to a board and belt the board down to one of the jump seats so the rear-seat passengers can watch - I think driving with the table up is probably dangerous. We did it all the time as kids in our friends' parents' Westy, but that was a time before most folks wore seat belts, too.

Thanks for your page - it's helping a lot for some ideas about how to rig my own Vanagon (I have to replace the van's stereo anyway). It's mostly a school bus, but we intend to do some longish trips, and the DVD player is nice for the kids after it's too dark to see outside or read books.

ed