Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:08:09 -0500
From:         Paul Borghese <PAUL98@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Optima Batteries
Comments: To: "Johnson, David R FOR:EX" <David.Johnson@GEMS6.GOV.BC.CA>

Solar panel? There was a discussion a few month back that the Optima batteries do not fit in the Drivers Side compartment. Have you had this problem? If my memory is correct, someone bought an Optima and could not figure out how to make it fit without drilling holes in the top of the cover.

Paul -----Original Message----- From: "Johnson, David R FOR:EX" <David.Johnson@GEMS6.GOV.BC.CA> Newsgroups: groupstudy.vanagon Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 2:20 PM Subject: Re: Optima Batteries

I have had an optima auxiliary for about a year with all stock components. I had an RV place install it, so I don't know all the details. The battery LED is now showing the auxiliary level. So far it has worked well. On one occasion I forgot to turn the fridge off of 12v and ran the battery into the "red". Nuthin went up in smoke. For some reason, perhaps a bad ground, or short somewhere, the LED will show in the yellow unless the engine is running, charging the system. I plan on replacing the relay with a larger one, when the solar panel arrives. Also I have not yet wired the radio to the auxiliary, or picked up an inverter or charger for shore power. The wish list grows and grows... although head gaskets, door locks, fuel tank filler seal, master cylinder replacement, AFM capacitor fix, windshield replacement, window tinting, stereo upgrade are also on that ever expanding list of "gotta do's"

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Manning [mailto:smanning@EXECPC.COM] Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 9:40 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Optima Batteries

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the response. The stock 30 amp relay works fine and does switch with the ignition. I just think the $40.00 wheel chair battery I bought was it's time to dye. I have tested the theory of the relay working with the ignition on as I have tested the charging rate of the aux battery while the engine is running.

I may anyway just replace the stock 30 amp relay with a 40 or 75 amp relay. I have no intention of using this Optima battery as a second starting battery, even in a emergency. If I do need it, I'll just use jumper cables instead of wiring something in-line.

I'm looking for simplicity for what I already have. I just want to drop an Optima in in place of the 32 amphr battery in nnow without any relay or wire upgrade whatsoever. At the most, I just want to get a new relay. I'd really like to find out if anyone has used the 30 amp relay with this size battery

Thanks -steve