Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:32:54 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Re: 90 Vanagon Jump Seats and Rear Bench/Bed]

I'll try again, this time with the right address:

Dana Morphew wrote: > > I just got under the Vanagon to look for any sign of strengthening for > the jump seat leg positioning brackets or mounts or whatever VW calls > them and saw nothing. No welds, no bracketing, and no gussets. I could > only look at the two outside ones as the areas under where the inside > ones are positioned are obscured by the tank. So, it seems VW may have > cut a 'safety corner' when they installed the mounts in the Basic '90 > Vanagon? The pegs at the bottom the legs fit into my mounts with metal > to metal contact...no plastic interface. > > I've never had anything but the pullout bed and the jump seats. No > middle seats that would have required tracks. I personally feel that, > as long as the occupant is belted in with factory designated mounts and > hardware in good condition and properly installed, the seat is likely to > stay in place as long as it, too, is mounted with treated hardware that > is up to the task it may be asked to perform. Hell...life may have some > risk to it and especially in a collision, but please don't think this to > be a fatalist attitude. > > -Dana- > > Captain Ray Nemo wrote: > > > > Look close under the floor. The tracks that are currently in your bus or were > > in your bus are merely bolted to the floor. BUT the bolts run through some > > thin support that runs, not just through any part of the floor. I've long > > since forgotten how many bolts held the brackets and the 7 seater bench in > > place, but it was just a few. I'm guessing six or eight. > > > > Shouldn't you be ok with a similar number of high strenght bolts w/ > > appropriate (large) washers holding the jumpseats? I hope so coz that's how > > the Captain mounted his weekender middle bench in a rear facing position.... > > > > ____________________________________________________________________ > > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.