Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Mar 2000 06:41:46 -0800
From:         Dominick DeGaetano <dominicksvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Antifreeze Sauna

I also have an '85. (I don't have a bed as my rear seat, so it does not lift up. It is mounted with two bolts!) My rear heater also leaked coolant. I disconnected it and jumped the hoses together as a temp fix. Six months later I pulled another one out of a yard and installed it. It leaked after driving for 30 minutes. Being frustrated, I replaced (outside the cab) the two hoses with one so the coolant flows freely through the system as if it was still attached. It is a quick fix I know, but I don't like having to keep taking apart the back of my van and cleaning it. I am eyeing a Rear Heater Core from the Bus Depot for $69.95 (part number 867 819 121A) rather than wasting my time and money pulling another one from a yard and having it leak again. Good luck!

--- Paul Borghese <paul98@PRODIGY.NET> wrote: > Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:10:09 -0500 > Reply-to: Paul Borghese <paul98@PRODIGY.NET> > From: Paul Borghese <paul98@PRODIGY.NET> > Organization: Prodigy Internet > Subject: Re: Antifreeze Sauna > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Taking the seat out is not a big deal but I can not > figure out why he would > need to remove the carpeting. The most suspect > place as to where the steam > is originating is from behind the rear seat which is > very accessible. This > may be a dumb question but do they know that the > seat lifts up? I one time > spent two hours at Pep-Boys stranded 300 miles from > home while a bunch of > mechanics looked at my Van. Only to have the > mechanic come out two hours > later confessing that they could not find the > battery (step one remove > ground cable from battery...). You should be able > to remove the box > surrounding the rear heater with a screw driver and > ratchet set. > > I an very leery with the secondary heater. Last > year I was driving from > North Carolina to Atlanta and found a Vanagon on the > side of the road with > smoke pouring out. I jumped out with my fire > extinguisher to find the smoke > was from the rear heater box. The entire thing was > on fire and starting to > engulf the Van! By using the extinguisher through > the now melted lower > vent, we were able to extinguish the fire. The Van > looked quite salvageable > with just some smoke damage and a destroyed seat. > Of course another few > minutes and the van would have been a total loss. > Just like in your case > there was a huge amount of steam from the > anti-freeze, mixed with the real > smoke was quite an impressive site. > > I looked at the dash and noticed that the rear > heater was turned on. So it > looked as if the fan was running and somehow caught > on fire. I have not > used my rear heater since :-). > > Do not ignore the problem just realize to get to the > rear heater is a 5 > minute job (20 minutes if you seat is filled to the > rim with stuff like mine > :-) requiring a screw driver and ratchet set. You > may want to take a look > yourself before paying $60/hr to have someone else > do it. > > > Best of luck, > > Paul Borghese > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: - Lauren Pelzer <VeeDubVan@AOL.COM> > Newsgroups: groupstudy.vanagon > Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 7:01 PM > Subject: Antifreeze Sauna > > > > Hi! I'm hoping someone out there can shed some > light on my problem: > > > > My '85 Vanagon overheated the other day, and > became a sauna of steam > smelling > > strongly of coolant. The steam came from the > secondary heater vent under > > the rear seat. I'm guessing it's the heater core. > I can't emphasize how > > much steam there was...it poured out of the open > windows for at least 10 > > minutes after shutdown. > > > > Anyway - it is in the shop now. Not my regular > shop, but these guys have > > worked on the van before. They called today and > told me that it was > going > > to take longer than expected because (and here is > my concern) they need to > > take out the seats and pull back the carpeting to > get to where the steam > is > > coming in. > > > > I realize that the Vanagon is engineered like > nothing else, but...I'm very > > nervous about this. It just seems to me there's > got to be a better way. > Has > > anyone else experienced this? If so, I'd > appreciate any light you can > shed! > > > > Thanks so much! > > Lauren > > --- >

===== Dominick Atlanta, GA 1985 Vanagon "Gretchen" VWCA LiMBO SEVWC