Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:46:46 EST
From:         Carol Sussman <Sussmn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      water pump tweeting solution

As the unnamed list member referred to in Ken Wilford's post, let me share my latest insights: start your vanagon and then get out and stand behind it and listen! Check the old hoses/clamps, including lines behind the firewall. Had I done this I might have noticed the dying water pump bearing noise before it gouged away so much of inside surface. Fortunately the missing material is on the low pressure side of the volute surface (thanks to David B for terminology) and shouldn't affect pump performance. (thanks to Ken and Bob of Boston Engine for tech expertise) I would again recommend Ken Wilford for his skill, humor, and tolerance for amateur mechanics. Also teaching ability and fair prices. Replacing the fuel lines was educational; replacing the water pump was arduous. I was very glad I didn't try to do that by myself. Fuel Lines--- Check these. My '89 Westfalia had several short pieces that were cracking. All the old lines were stiffened. Ken also replaced the injector seals and all the clamps. Coolant hoses----Since we were draining the engine anyway, I wanted to replace the OEM funky braided cloth hoses & clamps. Ken removed the old, very rusty clamps (carefully; so as not to break the plastic coolant rail that runs along the top edge of the engine compartment) and replaced them too. Then we poured the coolant back in and I learned how to air bleed the system. Ran fine; temp normal all the way home. Thanks again to Wilford and family Carol S Sussman 1989 Westy