Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:07:31 -0600
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Orphan Wire Needs Help

I have an orphan wire on my 86 Syncro. Based upon location, it seems to me that it may belong to the throttle valve switch. I cannot see any place for it to connect, but I think I can barely feel a male connector way under the throttle valve switch, accessable only be reaching in from the driver's side and under the intake air distributor. (Boy, that is a long, awkward reach!) The wire is long enough to comfortably reach that location.

The orphan is actually two wires, ending in a female connector, such as shown in the Bentley manual, page 24.59, illustration 24-150, #2. (BTW, male connector #1, as shown in that illustration, is nowhere to be found.) One wire is brown, the other is blue with a brown stripe. Illustrations 24-149 and 24-150 both show a wire, but are vague about where it is connected.

I suspect that this occured a few months ago (during the "it's too cold to work on the van" season) when a non-VW garage replaced my accelerator cable. Since then, the idle speed has been higher, although the idle stabilizer control valve seems to function properly. When I lift my foot off the gas, the engine slowly returns to idle speed (albeit a high idle) and stays there, whether the engine is hot or cold.

If I have stumbled upon the correct connection location, does the orientation of the connector matter, or should it only be connected one way?

I hope the wisdom of the List can solve this puzzle for me.

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky-Blue Waters)