Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:01:52 -0500
From:         Tom and Dana Cates <dcates1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Axle shaft repairs
Comments: To: Scott Grillo <scottgrillo@COMPUSERVE.COM>

Scott,

I have had some experience in the automotive industry, and the following is a generalization:

Axle rebuilders do a minimum of work for a maximum of profit. Normally they disassemble an old CV joint, clean it up and replace the balls with new ones of a very slightly larger diameter to compensate for the wear of the grooves on the tracks. This temporarily eliminates the play of the worn joint. They also always install new boots.

When originall manufactured, CV joint ball tracks are very precisely finished, with surface tolerances in the micron range. The ball tracks also undergo other finishing processes like heat treating or case hardening or something like that, and the corruption of the tracks basically ruins the joint. No rebuilders that I have ever heard of ever remachine the joint, because the machine tools are incredibly expensive, and they do so many different kinds of joints that I suppose it is not practical. Really good rebuilders will replace all the obviously worn components, like maybe the inside track-or- the outside track, but I can't see microns, and neither can they. (Disclaimer) I know nothing of what kind of rebuilders that Napa might use.

When they give you a lifetime warranty they are counting on the axle joints lasting about 20K miles, long enough for you to either sell the car or lose the receipt. Even if they do have to give you one new set of axles, they either make money or break even.

Maybe you got new joints, because they do sometimes do that. I don't know. But I would inquire at the parts store to be sure.

Tom Cates 83 Westfalia, 'Hammurabi'

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Grillo" <scottgrillo@COMPUSERVE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 24, 2000 3:42 PM Subject: Re: Axle shaft repairs