Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2000 22:50:18 -0500
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: bike racks and stickers
Comments: To: Blue Ridge CycleWorks <brbikes@RICA.NET>

>Today I "tested" (held >the foot up against the van and eyeballed) their extra tall foot and it has >just enough clearance to go over the top of the luggage carrier.

>But, the concept looks very workable

See <http://members.tripod.com/vwphotos/amourkas.html> for a picture of just such a setup on my 84 Westy. Thule extra tall (11"?) feet and 84" load bars located over the front and rear edges of the luggage rack allow the poptop to be raised and two bikes to be carried on either side of the luggage rack using either upright or fork mount bike carriers. I believe that if one did not need the luggage rack space that more fork mount carriers could be mounted "backwards", rear wheel forward, over the luggage rack itself so more bikes could be carried or to provide a narrower rig. This setup is a bit wide. :-) Also carrying a two foot stepladder helps a great deal when loading and unloading bikes.

I have also bolted Thule "artificial rain gutters" to the pop top section of my former 81 Westy to which I attached Thule uprights and load bars. I carried up to three bikes with this setup. The top could be raised with two bikes still attached up top, but you had to be Charles Atlas, or have an assistant to do so. Never tried raising the top with three bikes attached.

Last year I borrowed a Thule rack, one of those universal fit types that you see on the back of vans, hatchbacks, sedans, that support the bikes on two arms that stick straight out. We hung two backs on the back this way with no troubles on our trip.

Last month I purchased a used Paulchen rear rack equipped to carry four bikes. It mounts on the hatch via four brackets that are designed especially for the Vanagon. I am very impressed with the fit, finish, and strength of this rack. I have not actually tested it out with loaded bicycles as of yet but am looking forward to a road trip. I can't anticipate any troubles, this thing is built like a tank.

Of course my favorite setup when traveling solo to a cycling event is just fold out the rear seat into bed mode, lay down a protective blanket, and just throw the bike in through the rear hatch, close hatch, and go!

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA

1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro 1991 Jetta Eco Diesel

1987 Cannondale "L. L Bean" Touring 1989 Basso Paris Roubaix 1991 Santana Arriva Tandem 1993 Hollands Invicta Custom 1998 Pro Flex 856 FS MTB