Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:37:09 -0800
From:         Greg <yeff@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: asking for travel tips
Comments: To: Sharon Falvey <snow@INCONNECT.COM>

----- Original Message ----- From: Sharon Falvey <snow@INCONNECT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 10:13 PM Subject: Re: asking for travel tips

> Thanks > - I thought about the wind resistance -want to minimize that > - I have the plastic storage. The cocktail table is a nice addition. > - Like the idea about the shoe bag storage. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Date: Sunday, March 26, 2000 3:48 PM > Subject: Re: asking for travel tips > > > >>What types of toppers are people really happy with that work great > >>with the VW for extra storage? > > > >I used a cheapie from Sears a long while back on my old '71 on a trip > >throughout the West. It held a lot, but was such a wind resistor > >that I wish I hadn't added it. Did not use all the stuff I carried > >anyway. If doing it now, I wouldn't add anything on top. Downsize > >and do without or buy it when you need it. > > > >I have been toying with the idea of making a lid for the luggage rack > >for seldom used things. If I made it flush with the top, it would > >not offer any wind resistance. Anyone tried that one?

Thats funny I have been toying with that same idea & also there is a space under the sliding door about 2' x 4' x 4" deep that I am thinking of enclosing for some more storage space!

Enjoy!, Greg 86 Westy GL

The only > >thing that I have carried up there so far is fire wood. > > > >>What are the minimum necessities a person should have in the Tool Box? > > > >Every one has his/her own ideas on that. My favorites besides the > >usual wrenches are string/rope, a foldable shovel and a pruning saw. > >The pruning saw works much better than a hatchet for cutting firewood. > > > >>Other helpful hints for storage? > > > >We use two plastic bins that we got at Target for things that we take > >out every stop, e.g. food and eating things. They double as side > >tables to our camping chairs if we don't have a regular campsite. > >When we pull into a campsite, we put them on the picnic table and > >every thing is right there, no running back and forth to get > >something. I put them on the floor behind the seats when traveling > >and secure them with bungee cords. One couple that we met had > >removed the upper bed and built some plywood trays to fit in the > >space on top. Be sure to secure them from sliding out with a sudden > >stop. He said he was speaking from experience. :-) I also made a > >hanging thing, kinda' like a shoe bag, for frequently used items, and > >hang it from the back of the passenger seat. Easy to get to from > >outside. Handy, but presents a problem when rotating the seat to > >face the rear, though. I may rethink that one, since it was a > >leftover from my '71. > > > >> It looks like adding the extra battery will be a necessity- Thanks > >>for the recent battery discussions. > > > >Unless you intend to stay in one camping spot for a long (week or so) > >time with out electricity, I think the extra battery is not needed. > >I use the space as my tool box. I have my tools in canvas or plastic > >wraps and can get my entire mechanics tools in there (I am an amateur > >mechanic). It secures them from bouncing/sliding around on curvy > >roads. I use a battery powered lantern that works better than the > >mounted light and LP for the fridge. Only pull on the battery is the > >radio occasionally (very occasionally, I like the natural sounds when > >camping) and the fridge fan if it is extremely hot, as in South Texas. > > > >Good luck on your trip and keep us posted. >