Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:18:41 -0600
From:         k1cajun <k1cajun@PIPELINE.COM>
Subject:      CV joint - which side faces the boots ?

This is something I haven't found in the archives:

When I replaced my CV joints a couple of months ago, I saw a narrow groove on the outside of the outer ring, about 1/4" from the edge (the replacements, LoBro make, had them too). I wasn't sure whether the groove is to face the flange on the tranny/spindle or the boots, since the LoBro package and Bentley didn't say and the old ones were on both ways. Since they looked much the same either way, I chose to do them opposite of my failed joint and like the one that wasn't acting up (groove facing boot). It's worked fine. But then in a FLAPS yesterday, I was browsing a 70's transporter Haynes book to see the format and decide if I wan't to buy the Vanagon Haynes, I saw that the Haynes said the groove should face the flanges. So should I take them off and flip tyhem around ? Will it really make a difference ?

Also, I can't find the serrated lock washers anywhere locally except the dealer at 50 cents each. I replaced them last time, but is it necessary ? What do most folks do about the lock washers ?

Dave L