Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:45:22 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Kayak Transport on a Westy
Comments: To: "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>

At 09:42 AM 3/30/00 -0500, Anthony L. Mourkas wrote: >I won the Old Town Sea Otter kayak being raffled off last weekend at my >son's basketball tournament!!! We are pumped!!! I have had plenty of >with canoes but I must admit to being a totally ignorant first time kayak >paddler. We would like to take it along on a road trip in a few weeks >and would appreciate some tips on how to best carry it up top on a Westy.

congrats!

>The simple no cost solution would be to set my extra tall Thule uprights >and load bars up over the pop top and lash on the boat as above. Or I >could spring for the artificial rain gutters and bolt them to the pop top >and use my lower profile uprights that I used with this setup on my >former Westy. A little additional cost, a little additional angst in >drilling holes in the pop top, but as long as the boat would clear the >bikes in the rear, I could raise the pop top without dismounting boat or >rack.

on my westy to use the Thule tall mounts, we had to cut the rain gutter in back so that the last 4" of mount would stick-out far enough to allow the top to open. It's still very strong, and supports a 17" Grumman cruiser canoe, plus a 14" kayak just fine. I had no intention of drilling my pop-top, or of trying to count on it to support the wind-load of the 2 boats. We attach the bow and stern lines per local laws, but the real support comes from a ratchet-type strap used on each load bar, one per boat, per bar (that makes for 4 total with 2 boats). All the straps, plus the 2 ropes from each end, kinda gives the westy a bit of a traveling gypsy look.

>Other questions: > >- Are the luggage rack tie downs of sufficient strength to anchor a tie >down line from the bow of the boat?

maybe, but why not just drop a line to the front bumper.. if you have enough overhang they won't touch the window.

>- I have the Thule canoe carrier kit. Anyone use this to secure a kayak >using the stock configuration? Alternately, can the four mounting >attachments in this kit be installed on the bars "backwards", rotated 180 >degrees, so that they serve to locate the boat on the crossbars from >inside the cockpit, and preventing F-B and L-R movement?

Use the kayak saddles. They are really nice and don't stress your boat.

>- Can I use the foam blocks and just lash the boat to the roof?

sure..

>- Oh yeah, the boat did not come with a paddle. Any buying tips >appreciated. Also are most paddles one piece, or are there some that >break down for transport, or are adjustable for different users?

Check-out a good paddle-sports shop. There are even more choices for kayak paddles than there are for canoes. You really need someone who can help you find the paddle that suits your size, experience, style and intended use. They are available in both take apart and fixed, although most of the good ones come apart these days.

>- Where do you carry your paddle in your fully loaded Westy?

Since we take both boats, all paddles are lashed inside the overturned canoe. if you get a take apart paddle you can put it wherever it fits inside or even stash it inside the kayak.

Good Luck and Happy Paddling!

Chris Smith '82 westy '74 Thing Too Much Stuff