Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:52:46 -0500
From:         Todd Kaderabek <todd@LARKBOOKS.COM>
Subject:      <no subject>

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:52:00 MST From: Sean Garrett <seangar@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Kayak Transport on a Westy

I have transported whitewater kayaks for years and (welded my own racks too) the main concern you should have is: Yours is NOT a whitewater kayak ( I think) therefor it is wider in girth and more like a fat pig in the center. If it is truly a sea kayak then this is not so. It would be skinny. If you stack it like whitewater boaters you might NOT have the clearence you need in the middle of the boat. That is, the cockpit of the boat might rub the top of the van. Your towers on the racks would have to be tall to allow for that clearence. Rack manufactures have made parts to accomodate this but I have heard lots of whistling from racks that are like this. You want to keep the boat as close to the van roof as possible to avoid vibration and noise while in transit. I would suggest foaming it with fore and aft tiedowns to the bumbers and straping it in the middle if possible till you can get a good idea of the clearence issue. --------------- Technically that boat is not a sea kayak, and it certainly is not a whitewater kayak. It is a touring kayak. I own two of them, one the tandem version of the Old Towne model in question. It will stack, centered on the rack, without coming even close to the top of the vehicle. And when stacked they make virtually no noise at highway speeds. The biggest concerns in transporting boats this big are:

1 -- proper tie down. Yakima (and other) kayak stackers provide security by pulling in both a downward fashion, and a sideways fashion, literally lashing the both in two directions to the rack. I still attach lines front and rear to my bumper -- the tie downs in your cargo area are not strong enough by any stretch of the imagination. Remember, it's not just weight, but lift as well.

2 -- proper placement of the rack to the vehicle. You can attach your boats as tightly as possible to your rack, and if the rack flies off, so do the boats. Do it right, test it often.

3 -- handling. Your vanagon (or other vehicle) now has a sail on top, quite literally, and you are even more exposed to the dangers of cross winds. Drive cautiously.

4 -- loading/unloading of boats. Take your time, and get some help if possible. Not only will you bang up your van, you'll bang up a sensitive boat. I've developed systems over the years to unload even our tandem off the top by myself, but I've also busted my ass plenty of times, and my boats have the scars to show it.

5 -- drive up windows/ATM machines. Forget it. Know your total height, and remember it. You are not going to fit where you used to, and not knowing the vertical clearance is a recipe for disaster.

Having said that, you are about to embark on some very enjoyable boating. Sea/touring kayaks are an utter blast, when handled correctly. Learn the boat before you get into the surf, it's heavy, and has a mind of it's own. Fishing out of a kayak is particularly more enjoyable than in a canoe, as you will have a very low profile, and blow around considerably less. But do watch out for boats, they are not watching out for you. And wear your PFD no matter how warm the weather. You will tip over, and it will save your life, if not your gear.

Have fun.

TJK -- Todd J. Kaderabek, Director of Production Lark Books, Fiberarts Magazine, Folkwear Patterns 50 College Street Asheville, NC 28801 Phone: (828) 253-0467, X 331 Fax: (828) 253-7952 todd@larkbooks.com