Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:06:25 EST
From:         Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: help me stop the oil light from blinking!
Comments: To: VintagePkr@AOL.COM

Keith The high pressure sensor is on the front of the engige, left of the crankshaft pulley. It is hard to see and get to. The brown wire connected to it goes to the left rear corner of the engine compartment near the thermostat housing. This wire and the wire connected to the other (low pressure) oil sensor go to a double connector whose wires in turn are connected to the dash cluster. If you disconnect the connector and monitor the wire going to the high pressure sensor near the pulley with an ohm-meter, it should be open with the engine off and shorted with the engine running provided there is sufficient oil pressure. If you momentarily short this wire to ground and start the engine, the warning should not occur at 2K RPM provided the rest of the wiring and the oil pressure system electronics in the dash is OK.

I had a similar problem on my "87 where the light and buzzer came on at 2000 RPM. With the high pressure wire shorted the system still triggered the warning at 2K RPM. The problem turned out to be an "open" connection in the flexible circuit membrane on the back of the dash cluster.

Good luck

Gary

----Original Message Follows---- From: Keith Olsen <VintagePkr@AOL.COM> Reply-To: VintagePkr@AOL.COM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: help me stop the oil light from blinking! Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:37:06 EST

Hi again, My oil light blinks when the engine revs go over about 2500 ( and then stay on) in my 87 2.1 wolfsburg GL automatic. The bentley speaks of two oil pressure sensors and I can only find one. There is no problem with the oil pressure itself, I’m absolutely sure of this. I just need to find that second sensor. Could anyone point me to the location of that second sensor in in plain moron-proof steps? Or if I’m completely barking up the wrong tree looking for this second sensor, where else should I be looking? Thanks, Keith Olsen 87 wolfsburg GL 85 golf diesel 82 vanagon diesel L 79 loaf