Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:30:57 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Thigs to do when the fridge it out (long)
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

Richard:

Take heart - I have had my fridge in and out several times, and it is EASY! And it gives you the wonderful opportunity to clean out the 10+ years of accumulated gunk underneath there. It is also a great time to run a wiring harness from the front of the vehicle to the rear area, since you will have great access to the area behind the cabinets. Even if you have no plans for an auxiliary battery or accessories now, I would go ahead and lay the groundwork, since it will be so easy. Here's what I did:

From the auxiliary battery bin under the driver's seat to the "secret compartment" behind the 110v outlet, run a bundle of wires. I used a pre-made bundle that included nice 12 awg wires wrapped in a black PVC jacket. I think it was originally designed for wiring auxiliary 100w driving lights, and contained two pairs of red and black wires. I mounted everything very cleanly using zip ties and little straps and grommets. I have the aux. battery, and eventually, I plan to set up a power inverter and additional fuse block inside the "secret compartment". (Thanks to Steven Sittser for the inspiration for this). This fuse block will become a distribution point for some additional interior lights in the cabin and rear deck areas, as well as a 12v socket flush-mounted in the panel with the 110v outlet (from West Marine).

NOTE ON REMOVING THE FRIDGE: The reason I believe mine goes in and out so easily is that I have always been VERY CAREFUL not to bend or tweak the exhaust or intake tubes. This way, they line up perfectly each time. As I understand it, this is the biggest potential PITA for installing the fridge - when the pipes won't line up with the exterior openings.

THINGS TO CONSIDER DOING TO THE FRIDGE: 1. Clean out all the passages and the orifice (with alcohol only, NOT a pin!) 2. Pull apart the combustion chamber and clean that out. 3. Install a secondary fan to the back side of the fridge, or replace the existing (noisy) fan. 4. Install a small fan to the interior of the fridge (I used a CPU fan) to move air off the evaporator coils and circulate air. 5. Burp the fridge. (turn upside down for 24 hours, then back up for 24 hours)

I run both my extra fans manually using switches that I mounted to the front of the fridge (only visible when you open the door - looks very clean). I played around with running the secondary rear fan off the same thermistor as the primary fan, but I liked the idea of being able to kick it on during the day, then turn it off at night while trying to sleep. (I guess the best solution would have been a manual override switch in addition to wiring it to the thermistor).

Let me know if you have any questions. (Unfortunately I have no pictures)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 11:00 AM Subject: THANKS - was:Troubleshooting Gas Fridge