Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:59:43 -0500
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      Anyone want a ZF limited slip?
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Wondering if anyone would be interested in a group purchase of ZF limited slips for those of us strapped to 2wd vans who want to try and have syncro wanabe dreams (or who just like air cooled vans.)

As I have been able to tell, Weddle has been selling these used in the $750-$950 range over the last few years depending on condition etc, but it ends up that they are available NEW in Germany for around $1050 at current exchange rates, not a bad deal for a unit brand new from ZF. This price is in fact quoted to me from a performance tuner over there, so they are probably available even cheaper if we could cut out the middle guy, but even so they might be able to give us a volume break for over say 5 units.

Anyway I know this is a pretty good chunk of change, but for a new unit with full service life ahead of it, doesn't seem so unreasonable to me. These are comparable to prices for ZF units for BMW's etc new from the dealer, not quite GM posi prices but well, you know, its a VW.

I know there has been interest in these before, so I figured I'd ask. I need to order mine pretty soon though so can't mess around more than a month or so. If anyone has serious interest understanding the price, please get back to me.

At the moment I know the units fit the 091 box '75-83 but am not sure if they fit the 091/1 and the 094 5 speeds, somebody out there would likely know better than I.

Anyway a hefty price for the ultimate in 2wd traction, and yeah you can always pick up a cheap syncro nowdays for $2000 or so, but sometimes you just got to be aircooled and all. Plus you can always sell the thing to a sandrail guy.

If any of our German importing parts folk out there think they might be able to source these for less BTW, I'm all for it, unfortunately I don't know who the tuner I'm talking to is actually getting them from.

John jander14@wvu.edu