Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:26:01 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bentley or Haynes?
Comments: To: bpchristensen1@HOME.COM

I've got both books and only find the Haynes slightly useful. Haynes appears to be dated to the older and European models of Vanagons. No Syncro and Westy stuff. Lots o'stuff on carburators

Interestingly they show the flush of the cooling systems and the replacement with some British brand of coolant - not the recommended VW $coolant$.

I find Bentley much more detailed and specific to the Syncros and Westies. Nice big pictures in Bentley but we now need the steps and "how to" filling the gaps.

Brent, I would not spend the money on the Haynes book.

Joel 89 Syncro Westy

--- Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM> wrote: > This brings up a related question: > I know that the Haynes does not cover the Syncro or > the Westy. Are there > any Syncro Westy owners that would recommend the > Haynes in addition to the > Bentley? > > I have Bentley, thinking about buying the Haynes, > but don't need another 200 > page book with 20 pages of useful information... > > Brent Christensen > '89 GL Syncro Westy > Santa Barbara, CA > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 8:21 AM > Subject: Re: Bentley or Haynes? > > > > Chris, > > Get both of them. After you buy the Bentley, the > additional cost of a > Haynes > > seems like a trifling amount. Be forewarned: > neither is without errors > and > > inaccuracies. Since I am accustomed to exact > "as-built" documentation, > the > > errors I have found in the Bentley wiring diagrams > are particularly > irksome. > > This is not solely a problem with the Bentley > Vanagon manual but also > their > > other titles I own. At least with the other > marques, manuals are > available > > directly from the manufacturer. > > Rich >