Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:32:01 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: bike racks and stickers
Comments: To: "Blake C. Thornton" <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>

Blake:

I went through the Bike Rack angst last year. I finally settled on a Paulchen unit from Steve at eurocampers.com

Pretty spendy, but for me it was the best solution. Steve also has Fiamma units for about 1/2 the price of the Paulchens (I think), and they seem decent. I love the ease with which I can stick the bikes on the back of the rack and go. Plus, the rack doubles as a cooler carrier when not bringing the bikes. I think that you will find universal agreement from those of us with the Paulchens that they are the best way to go.

The big problem with mounting something on the roof is the overhead clearance. I know that if I mounted bikes up there I would eventually ram them into a Taco Bell drive through. I reasoned that that would end up being a LOT more expensive than buying the Paulchen. I even have a spare Yakima set up with all the goodies sitting in my garage, and the rails installed on my pop top - I only would have had to buy new cross bars.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: Blake C. Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 12:41 PM Subject: bike racks and stickers