Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:27:05 -0500
From:         Michael <grendal@USA.COM>
Subject:      new to list - '86 Vanagon GL

Hi guys,

I'm not the actual owner, but my best friend and roomate (who doesn't value mailing lists as much as I do!) just bought a great condition '86 Vanagon GL 4spd. I believe the mileage is somewhere over 150k and the condition is very good. The body has no rust, original good paint except the roof has some clear coat cracking (is this typical?), 4spd manual, seating for 7, blue coth interior, blue metallic exterior.

Things we found wrong:

1) seemingly minor oil leak. Problem fixed with new sending unit... it was leaking. The leak (which was very obvious) seems to be totally gone. 2) A/C compressor is locked up and the clutch blown... what should one expect to pay for replacement parts? labor is free (we have a friend and former VW mechanic who will do it no cost)

Now, to the questions..... oh yes, they are many...

My friend is the 3rd owner, but didn't get a great deal of info from the previous owner. So, here are my questions:

1) How can one tell if the engine has been rebuilt or head gasket replaced? 2) How long do the clutches last? Could this really be an original? it seems to hold just fine. 3) Anything else to look for on this vehicle? it's in such darn good condition that it is amazing. After taking a carpet steam cleaner to it, the interior looks awesome. As good as any 2-3 year old used car would and it's 14yrs old!! 4) it looks like the a/c ventilation was all removed at one time. Why would that be done?? It's all back up there now, but they left off a couple trim pieces, etc which gives it away! The fan motors all blow fine, just seems to need the compressor replaced.

Thanks guys!

BTW, in case anyone cares, I'm a VW driver myself. Fairly new to the VW family (starting in 1998), but I have a '98 VW Passat... somewhat modified with a nice 1.8L turbo.

Talk to you guys more in the future I hope... how many people are on this list?

Michael

grendal@usa.com ICQ: 102234 EFnet IRC: gReNDaL- IM: grendal93 PH: 281.734.5322 FAX: 877.659.9956 http://www.phoenix.net/~grendal