Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:25:14 -0400
From:         Zoran Mladen <Zoran_Mladen@AMSINC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bizarre starter problems pt.II
Comments: To: CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET

Hi Terry,

VW has had starter problems on many vehicles, particularly automatic Golfs/Jettas/Rabbits. The problem is voltage loss to the starter. To correct this, Bosch created a relay kit (part number WR1) that you add in line. Uses four wires. (1) You use the lead going to the starter as the feed trigger mechanism for the relay (2) ground it to any ground (3) hotwire directly from the battery - actually for the vanagon you could tie this directly to the large hot wire on the starter that comes from the battery (4) output goes to the starter to where the original lead went.

There is enough voltage to trip the relay, but not always enough to run the starter, especially on older starters. I've added this to a number of Golfs/Jettas and it fixed the problem right away. The problem with Vanagons is that the wire supplying juice to the starter is so long, voltage loss takes place.

When installed, you can attach this relay and the additional wires to anywhere - I use plactis tie straps.

Good luck!

Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> on 04/01/2000 11:34:11 PM

Please respond to CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Zoran Mladen/AMS/AMSINC) Subject: Bizarre starter problems pt.II

Ron , No, the solenoid does nothing, until I jump the two poles, and then it starts. However there is a new twist to this weird problem. This afternoon, I decided to see if the feed wire to the solenoid, off the neutral safety switch is powering the starter properly. I slid the R/H seat forward, exposed the battery, took a alligator clipped jumper wire, hooked it to the positive terminal,and also to the feed wire at the safety switch, turned on the ignition, and bingo it started! I figured, no problem here, so I hooked up the wire back where it belongs and hit the key about 8 times, and the darn thing started every time. Now I'm really scratching my head! Might be a intermittent bad contact in the safety switch, might be a intermittent break in the wire, who knows? God, I hate electrical nightmares! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks again, Terry 85 GL