Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:08:30 -0700
From:         Scott Semyan <scottse@MICROSOFT.COM>
Subject:      Bye bye AC

Well, what started out as an examination of the size of the speaker holes in the rear AC cabinet turned into an all-day extraction of my AC system yesterday. Our '85 westie came with AC that never worked. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I never noticed the AC except when 1) messing around in the engine compartment, I always had to work around the big AC compressor, and 2) not being able to use the compartment over the lower bunk because, well, it had the AC unit in it. I had considered pulling the AC before but many people told me it may reduce the resale value of the vehicle. Well, I don't plan to sell this vehicle any time soon, and the lack of space is more of an issue now that the wife and I are planning a multi-month trip in the fall, so I ripped the puppy out.

It was fairly easy. The system didn't have any refrigerant in it (surprise), so I could simply undo the the hoses and pull the compressor. Getting the hoses out was a pain and dirty. Pulling the front AC Radiator was a cinch as was dropping the AC housing over the lower bunk. I had to pull the cabinet out to get to the hoses behind it but that was not so bad either.

Finally, I started pulling the wiring but didn't want to mess with the rats nest behind the fuse pannel so I have left the final removal for a later day. I ripped out wiring up to the gas tank. Before we leave, I will probably drop the tank to replace the gas lines anyway so I'll finish ripping out the wiring then.

I have some holes where the hoses went into the engine compartment from behind the driver side rear wheel. These are duck taped for now but I hope to fashion a plate later.

So, all of this is a long way of saying I have AC parts if anyone wants them. P-mail me if you do.

Scott Semyan '85 Westie (non-AC)