Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 May 2000 23:15:02 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Reply to Dave re Mark Stephens engine...

Dave, (don't have a last name)

My pc crashed while I was sending you a reply, so here it is again: (apologies to the list)

The engine in my '82 Vanagon Adventurewagon is a Mark Stephens "Stage II Stroker" 2.1L. It has a modified cam, ported & polished heads, counterweighted 74mm crankshaft, everything balanced, and drilled/tapped oil gallery plugs. Also, the heads are warranted for 100K miles against dropping the valve seats, a relatively common occurrence in air-cooled VWs.

The engine is quite a bit smoother than a stock one, and the power increase is noticeable. It's possible to climb highway grades now without always having to downshift. But, this is still a 3500 pound barn on wheels, so you can only expect so much. But I am making probably 100 HP peak instead of the 67 stock, according to the dyno.

I paid $2495 for my engine, and it seems well worth it if you are committed to the air-cooled vans. Now, however, I am wanting to experience the waterboxers, so the Adventurewagon is going up for sale.

You can visit the Mark Stephens website at:

www.markstephenshp.com

Hope this answered your questions.

...Dan