Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:34:19 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Refridgerator Relay Wiring Confusion
Comments: To: Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>

Jay, Your answers are embedded below:

>There apprears to be some confusion as to the wire sizes feeding the >refridgerator relay. In my '85 Westy, the relay is fed by a 2.5 mm2 (10 AWG) >wire, not an 1 mm2 (18 AWG).

The conversion chart that I have indicates that the equivelant of a 2.5mm2 wire is about 13 AWG; not 10 AWG.

This 2.5 wire comes directly from the battery--not >from the dash!

The Bentley page for my 90 Westy Syncro shows the wire routed via the main fuse panel (but not fused)... and that's what the reality proved to be in my van.

Does anyone know what the rating of this relay is? If it is >good for 30 amps, you could simply upgrade the 10 AWG wiring to a 4 or 8.

It is called a 'fridge relay' in the Bentley; not and auxilary battery relay. The fridge only draws 7 or 8 amps and the circuit was never designed for an auxiliary battery. And auxiliary battery can draw up to a 70 amp surge if fully discharged! A 75 amp relay can be had for under $20 I believe... a $40 amp relay for about $8. The 75 amp relay sold by Alternative Energy has screw down posts that I was able to fit #6 ring termanals to with some filing to alter their width. I would suggest a minimum #8 wire and from that size up I could not find any spade terminals to fit typical terminals on relays.

Then >tie in the aux battery between the relay (#30) and the "refridgerator heater" >fuse. I would upgrage this short section to 4 or 8 AWG too.

Basically, this is how it would work. see: www.vanagon.com for more information

It's tight quarters inside the auxiliary battery box... using marine grade wire is much nicer since it is VERY MUCH more flexible than automotive wire... You can order it form West Marine if you don't have a maring supply place in your area. I used #6 since marine is 10% larger than automotive wire.

You would not be >charging the aux battery through the trigger wire! Am I right?

That's right.

Bill > > Jay > '85 Westy >