Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:37:13 -0400
From:         John Anderson <jander14@WVU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: BFG AT/KO tires (Was: RE: More on Michelin tires: Agilis vs.
              MX)

At 04:13 PM 4/6/00 -0700, you wrote:

> > Not sure if you're into an aggressive off-road looking tire, but I just > installed a set of BFG All-Terrain KO tires on my Syncro. $89.85 per tire in > the 27 x 8.50 - 14 size (You must have 6" alloys to mount them). > > My initial impression is that they are a big improvement over the previous > "Jupiter" 185C/75-14 tires I had, both in terms of appearance and handling. > Mush plusher ride over big hits like speed bumps and uneven pavement, and a > more stable cornering feel at low speeds. Highway ride is quite good, with > some squirminess at over 65 mph (indicated), which may just be due to their > newness. Contrary to one of my concerns, the larger 27" tire does not affect > the acceleration from a standing start to a great degree. It is noticeable, > but really not a problem (and I am used to cars that pull like tractors from > standing starts).

Some thoughts on what Brent is saying.

First I've run the Firestone 27x8.5R14's on regular 5.5" steel Vanagon wheels just fine on the '78, '81, '85, and '87. Alloys not required, work, mount, fit fine, YMMV.

Second, indeed, much plusher, I had forgot that, I get NO squirminess compared to 185 XZX's, I think the big tire handles beautifully, so it may be his new tires. The things (both these tires are real C load raters with 55psi or better max inflations) never roll over, if you hear them rolling onto the sidewalls (loud with this tread) you got the van hanging WAY farther out past the limit than you want it to be, I know I drive that way at times.

Third, like I've mentioned the 27" is VERY noticeable on an auto tranny Vanagon, much more so on my auto 2.1 that they were on the stick 1.9. They are WAY to tall for a 4.57 reared 80-83 air cooled van with stock 2.0, do NOT buy them unless you are a flatlander. On Brent's syncro of course he sees little or no difference.

Anyway like I mentioned I give the Firestone's a good plug, they have run, lasted, and handled well. The BFG is the known leader in this size, but was at the time I bought mine nearly $40 more per tire, and I went with the Firestone. But it was just out at the time, and relatively unproven so may have gone up in price. Either should be a great choice if you don't mind climbing up and in a bit, I really noticed the lift for about a week hoisting my but into the van.

John jander14@wvu.edu