Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:08:34 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Charging system strange symptom

I was hanging about with Ken Wilford the other day, as he mentioned. He was showing off his marvelous little Digitool which I hooked up to my beast and was watching do its tricks. Well, it (the beast) has been acting a bit cranky and getting mileage that was not exactly of the finest, so I was more than just passively interested.

Anyway, I was using the external voltage probe (that Darrell so thoughtfully provided in the design) to chase the grounds around, and I was astonished to find that the alternator case was a third of a volt negative to the rest of the engine. That doesn't sound like much, but it is. There's too much drop in the main charging circuit anyway, which the alternator doesn't see b/c the voltage regulator monitors right at the alternator instead of at the battery.

So I had to remove the alternator and shine up the inside of the bracket and the mounting bosses on the alternator case. Voltage drop went down to 25 millivolts instead of 350, and of course it charges better than before (I had noticed that the battery was a bit feeble, but hadn't started tracking it down). I could be dreaming, but I think the motor runs better, too. It certainly got better mileage on the way back from New Jersey -- not great but a definite difference.

Anyway, something to check when looking at the charging circuit. I've always measured charging voltage to the alternator case, since it's handy to clip the meter lead onto one of the protruding screws. Never occurred to me that there might be a high-resistance joint (somewhere around 0.005 to 0.01 ohm) between the alternator and engine.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"