Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:40:43 EDT
From:         Kapitan Ray Nemo <Volksiebus@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Middle Seat Mod - Vanagon GL (rear seat and seatbelt question)
Comments: To: rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM

>>I was putting the middle seat back in my van this weekend and started eyballing the possibility of moving the tracks forward and turning the seat around. It looks like I can move the tracks about 8 - 10 inches forward and still have enough room to slide the seat in and out on the tracks.

>>Has anyone ever tried this?

Yeah, mine's that way now. Sort of, that is. I put a wolfy weekender interior in my 84 GL. (By wolfy weekender is mean specifically the westy

style full width rear seat/bed w/ mattress and GL style middle seat that folds forward.) I installed sans tracks however. It just wasn't going to be able to slide in and out with the B pillar in the way. To miss the B pillar, I would have had to mount the seat in nearly the stock position.

I mounted it all the way forward and gave up my walkthrough. Well actually you can squeeze through if you fold half of the middle seat down. Except that I keep a large plastic box with a 48 quart cooler stacked on it behind the drivers seat. When I move the cooler off the box there a full width flat

surface which becomes a bed for one of my little ones by adding my air mattress.

I mounted the middle seat (and rear seat to for that matter) by simply drilling through the floor and using heavy duty bolts and large washers. Look closely down there. Notice that area of the floor where your tracks mount are reinforced. (I don't recall specifically now, but it seems there were reinforced areas, not quite ribs but the same idea, running front to rear in the floor sheetmetal.) Drill through the same area for strength.

No pictures yet, but let me know if there is real desire for it.

One quick question, folks. My seatbelts for the rear weekender bench/bed are too small. Have I mucked up the installation or are the seatbelts off the Wolfy longer than those off my GL?

der Kapitan IXOYE Huntington, Westy Virginia Recovering Sniveling Technophobe Lurker and Co-inventor of the Internet

____________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.