Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:47:59 -0400
From:         Tom Moritz <tmoritz@BMI.NET>
Subject:      List of reliable Vanagon mechanics

Recently, my wife, daughter and I drove from Walla Walla, WA to the Colorado Front Range and back. On the way there we were having problems that were later diagnosed as a bad air flow meter. Before the proper diagnosis we stopped along the way many times and visited several foreign automotive shops trying to resolve the problem while keeping moving. One thing that became evident is that many shops will not work on the water cooled Vanagon engines and some that do shouldn't. What would have helped greatly is if we had a directory of shops across the country which care for Vanagons as much as we do. In the past I had thought it might be a good idea to publish a book but that was back in my air cooled days. Now with the internet I thought it would be quite simple to compile the data required to compose such a directory. The directory could them be made available via the internet free to all to download.

First of all, is such a list already available? If so, I would like to submit four entries. If not, maybe we could have a brief discussion about the plusses and minuses of such a directory. From there, assuming a positive response, we could move forward with collecting and collating the information.

Just a thought.

Tom Moritz '90 Vanagon Westy Walla Walla, WA