Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:36:22 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Engine Swap questions 1.9L to a 2.1L
Comments: To: NickMeyers1@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Ron Lussier <coyote@andromedia.com>

I could write a book on this, I have been working on this swap for my '84 now for a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll write it up if Ron wants to post it on Vanagon.com, it is not to late to take some good photos!

First, it is an excellent idea, but some things need to be kept in mind. You use the complete exhaust, water pump, and thermostat housing from the 1.9. The exhaust and plumbing are radically different for the 2.1 version Vanagon, and it is not worth trying to convert a pre-2.1 Vanagon over to this design.

One surprise I encountered was that the intake plenum and throttle body that came with the 2.1 are a larger diameter than on my 1.9, by nearly 1/4"! I have never seen a reference to this fact anywhere, so be sure to get these parts with your engine. This also requires modifying the vacuum line routing a bit.

Everything else is the same, ECU, injectors, etc.

You are then faced with a choice about the stock water cooled oil cooler/filter set up for the 2.1, which will no longer fit with the 1.9 exhaust. One school, including Bob Donalds of Boston Engine, says just leave it off, others say it is needed since the 2.1 runs hotter. My engine came with an external setup that the PO had mounted in the left rear wheel well. This is just standard VW remote oil filter adapter using the long nipple (removed from the 2.1 oil filter/cooler mounting location) and the short nipple from the 1.9 replacing it on the engine. This also requires drilling and tapping the water pump and t-stat housing for coolant line fittings for the oil cooler, another expense. I suppose you could run it as an air cooled cooler if you wanted!

I will most likely place this setup inside the engine compartment, probably next to the ECU in the corner. I have not sorted this out yet, but it will probably be strapped in the corner to keep it from moving around, but removable so the filter can be changed. Or, who knows, I may decide to just take it off and go the Bob Donalds route!

Next Saturday is decision day!

Any others out there with experiences to share on this topic?

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208 Fax: 206-269-6360

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com