Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:22:25 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Auto lights & wipers

I believe that Sweden requires vehicles to have daytime lights-on ie they are hardwired. However I want mine to be overridable, so that I can switch them off if desired (eg if my van develops a charging problem on a trip, so that the lights don't drain the battery before I can get to a service station). Also so that they are not normally on in daylight, but come on and go off by themselves. My SR31 Skyline diesel had 2-stage lights when set to auto; first the parking/taillights would come on, then as it grew darker the headlights would also light. They would switch off automatically too. When the engine is stopped the lights remain on until the driver's door is opened. I have a control relay and sensor from another SR31. But I cannot find a wiring diagram (these cars were Japan-only, and any diagram would be in Japanese anyway), and it will not be possible to work out what all the terminals do without frying the electronics.

I have tried to get a price for the Hella wiper kit Per mentioned, but there is no listing here. Anyone know the Hella part/kit number(s)? I can't believe that $250US ($500NZ!) price. I wonder if the local VW dealer has a listing for these? No, can't find it on the CD-ROM without a damn chassis number! The joys of electronic media! You can't riffle through a CD to find the bit you want. Oh, no! You must know every detail beforehand.

Andrew