Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:20:06 -0700
From:         Steve Iman <sciman@CSUPOMONA.EDU>
Subject:      Rear Speaker Upgrades?

I'm a proud new owner of a '90 Westy who already loves his beast. She needs to talk with a better voice though, and so I'm looking at options for moving toward better quality sound. I've explored options for upgrading the Kenwood that I've got, and sorta want to hold onto it with the CD changer and all. I've an amplifier I could put into service to drive things in the back, if that's the way to go.

I'm guessing that the weak spot of my current system is the speakers in back, and that I should get something which I could amplify. I've taken them down and see no amp/watt ratings.. only 4 ohms. The speakers don't seem to have much in the way of magnet width or depth. My mechanic can only tell me that he knows that they cost a lot from Volkswagen;-)

Is there a better speaker that I could easily upgrade to which will fit the cavity... what's that.. a 4.6" diameter from screws across the circle? Is there a better speaker that might take some retrofitting of cabinets that I could get somebody local to do? (What the heck would I tell them I needed!)

I suppose a different option is along the lines of the guys on the list who do 'bass tubes' in their Westy closets. I'd sure prefer to keep thing simple and not waste a lot of space.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Care! .. steve iman

-- ************************************************************** Steve Iman: sciman@csupomona.edu * Phone/fax: 949-496-3774 http://www.csupomona.edu/~sciman 24242 Porto Fino, Dana Point CA 92629 *Tell me and I'll forget... * Involve me and I'll learn mailto:sciman@csupomona.edu *************************************************************