Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Apr 2000 01:32:54 -0400
From:         Robert Snyder <bobbino@TOGETHER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Differential lock and Sychro Vacum Plumbing
Comments: To: Stephen Arbaugh <sneakers@oz.net>

Steve,

Thanx for the reply. It sounds like you're contemplating the "big switch." I also did for quite some time. I live in the hilly green mountains of Vermont and when my '87 waterboxer heads leaked again for the 3rd time, that was it! I was fed up and wanted an alternative. The Kennedy conversion is the way, hands down. I used a '91 turbo Legacy which was probably a mistake just because it took so long to make all the additional turbo plumbing fit and custom the exhaust. Any fresh legacy motor will do, around here they're a dime a dozen ($300-600) Kennedy makes all the parts required. When its done the damn thing looks like it belongs there, and nearly twice the horsepower! As to experience level, I consider myself mechanical inclined, but I think that any patient, intelligent person with some know-how could figure this out or have it done. I found that the Kennedy staff was very helpful. The total cost for adapter + motor + accoutrements was around $1100-1300, easily the cost of some new heads alone. The single drawback that I can find in this conversion is loss of ground clearance. I would guess that I lost about 4", and if you like going off road that's a few too many ". My turbo engine gives some oil pan protection from the headers, but I plan to build a skid plate next. The wiring is laborious and tedious, but again very doable. I can't tell u how pleased I am with the overall product. A conversion associate summed it up by saying that all those, "when's it gonna blow?" worries are now completely gone. Thanx again and I'd be happy to answer any more questions.

Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: Stephen Arbaugh <sneakers@oz.net> To: Robert Snyder <bobbino@TOGETHER.NET> Sent: Friday, April 07, 2000 11:06 PM Subject: Re: Differential lock and Sychro Vacum Plumbing