Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:27:16 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: The gutted cat girl...who knew nothing
Comments: To: margie reyes <mreyes@TVI.CC.NM.US>

I don't know how long ago you bought the car, or what the laws are in NM, but in the Peoples' Republic of California, you can go after the person who sold you the car if it has been tampered with so as to not pass smog. (i.e. they have to either buy it back from you, or pay to have it fixed)

I went through this with a Jeep I bought at a lien sale auction. The smog pump had been yanked out of it, and I was able to go back to the towing company that sold it to me and demand that they replace the smog pump, etc. They gave me the cash equivalent of the cost of the smog pump and related parts plus labor to install it.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of margie reyes > Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 3:55 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: The gutted cat girl...who knew nothing > > > Well Rob, it is an '82 Vanagon L. I just heard from the shop > and they said it > will not pass emissions since it has dual carburetors. We > need to go to a > single Carburetor or fuel injection, they suggest the single > carburetor because > maintenance will be less expensive. He quoted me about $600 > to go to a single > (not bad). Right now he is going to write up the paperwork, > because here in new > mexico (albuquerque) if it is major mechanical work in order > for it to pass > emissions (over $500) you can get a 1year extension to make > the necessary > repairs. I am also checking into registering it to one of > the small counties > around me that don't require emissions to register. The guy > is saying it runs > bad, but I have been driving it for a couple of days and the > only problem I have > had is that it wants to stall (stalled once, but started > after a few minutes, > and as long as I keep my foot on the gas hard when I take off > its okay. It was > parked for awhile when we bought it, and then we put > denatured alcohol in > it(friends suggestion to pass emissions), so it may be > cleaning out the bad > gas) > I figured a good tune up and it would be fine, but I guess > not. He says it > needs major carburetor adjustments, and that we should just > replace the dual for > the single since it needs that much work. Thanks for the > interest Rob, any > suggestions? > Margie > Sad Vanagon owner > > Rob & Lrae Winterkorn wrote: > > > I honestly don't think a catalytic converter is all your > going to need to > > pass the test. > > Your van sounds like its been totally modified with no > management system for > > the fuel in tack. > > You may find the money needed to invest for the van to pass > is not going to > > be worth it. > > Questions: What year is the van, what state do you live in > and also what are > > the minimum standards for the test. like CO idle, 2500 rpm levels. > > You may want to try to locate a complete engine with all > the fuel injection > > than sell your motor or possible trade. > > It sounds like a good motor with the carbs, just not for > areas that test. > > > > The cost could balance out. > > > > Good luck > > > > Rob > > > > margie reyes wrote: > > > > > Okay, I don't know if you remember me, but I am the one > who asked about > > > the gutted cat. Well, come to find out we have one (we > were told it did > > > not have one when we bought it). It may be no good but > we have one. My > > > uncle looked at it and I guess it use to have fuel > injection, now it has > > > duel carburetors. There is lots of stuff missing, like an oxygen > > > sensor, and lots of stuff unplugged. It won't pass > emissions. We have > > > just taken it into the shop, and are on pins and needles > waiting to hear > > > the news on cost $$$$$. It runs great, except when it is > driven a lot > > > it wants to stall. I am just hoping it won't be too > expensive. We are > > > just waiting to hear. I will let you know. Thanks to > all who helped me > > > out when I asked about the cat. > > > Margie > > > 82 vanagon >

[text/html]