Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:01:15 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      look to aircooled VW folks
Comments: To: mreyes@tvi.cc.nm.us

Post a message to the aircooled group, to see if there is anybody in the area that can help you tune or point you to a shop near your area that deals in Dual Carbed VW engines.

To determine what they are:

1) Describe one side- does it have a tube coming from each cylinder Look at the following links

http://216.111.121.85/cb/catalog.asp?ProductID=493

If you have Dual-Dual throat carbs on the side the name will be either Webber or Dellorto

sizes are 36mm,40mm,45mm, 48mm

If Delloroto then the following links apply

The "Jet Doctor" fixes the idle jet plugging up and running poorly at idle syndrome.

http://216.111.121.85/cb/catalog.asp?ProductID=514

The update kit includes the above fix and changes some inside parts to increase power, mileage and the annoying mid-range problem. It forces you to increase the main jet to make the low to mid transition better, if you do not it is rough from idle to @3K rpms, then runs good.

As far as putting on the CAT, just unbolt the old and bolt in a new one. You might need to cut off rusty bolts, but that should not be too hard.

If the muffler is bad, replace with a free'er flowing muffler. That will lean the mixture out some because the exhaust can flow out better increasing the engines ability to breath better. With the dual carbs, the engine can get the air in better but not out better, that could increae the idle emmisions dur to the exhaust backing up. If your van is not CAL smogged consider going to electronic iginition, it is basically a drop in points replacement. It is not too hard to install. It will cause an increase in voltage at the plugs to burn better resulting in lower emmisions, increased power and better mileage. Cost is under &$100.

Another option is: Magnaspark system cost is $149 http://216.111.121.85/cb/catalog.asp?ProductID=337

Still another option is the Distributor-less system system. I have mentioned it in other posts and the name escapes me now.

The cost is @$200. I would favor this one because it eliminates the rotor and Distributor cap. This eliminates the wasted voltage when jumping the gap in the cap. If you plan to keep the carbs, I would consider this system because it would produce the hotest spark with no voltage loss. But the other ones will still be good, much better than points.

I think with the correct tuning and other enhancements to the engine, the carbs might can work. The stock cam is very mild.

Another option is going to the Dual-dual throat Closed-Loop Digital FI setup CB Performance has - cost is a little steep at $1895 BUT you would be able to pass emissions and have increased power... I have considered this option for myself. VW has great engines with excellent power potential, but the FI systems have generally been mild. I have been thinking of ways to mount the dual-dual throat carbs sideways and integrate them with the Digifant FI system, to give the engine better breathing.

Run two bottles of Red Line gas treatment in your tank. Ratio is 2 bottles to @5 gal of gas. You might need to do this several times to clean the carbon build up on the cylinder walls. But one time might do the trick. Drive at highway speed to get the engine hot to allow it to remove the deposits.

Robert