Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 2000 06:34:10 -0700
From:         Richard Lynch <rlynch@INFOSAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: GL More camp-able

We are in the middle of making our 85 Vanagon into a good camper, while keeping it as daily driver. No offence to Westies but we wanted something more subtle that didn't say "tourist" on it, plus it was about one third the cost of the average Westie in Vancouver. Here's what was done so far:

--Centre seat removed, used a rubber truck bed mat cut to size for flooring (easy clean up).

--Installed a counter top behind the drivers seat, verathaned wood with support legs running at an angle down to the wall/floor junction. In this we installed a pump faucet ($25 from marine store) connected to a 5 gallon water container under counter. Instead of a sink we opted for a wash basin, the option to use outside plus we avoided needing grey water tank.

--Also under counter coleman 12V cooler mounted upright like a normal fridge.

--Behind passenger seat is custom aluminum battery box, with full size deep cycle battery underneath (well secured!). This deep cycle was 50 vs the outrageous 290 I was quoted for an optima deep cycle. Controls for fridge and an auxiliary light mounted to the wall are on the side of battery box. Solenoid for aux battery is under passenger seat so it was a simple cable run to aux battery. Also under seat a small 3 amp battery charger for extended stays at campgrounds, hooked to aux batt. The box also makes a great work surface from inside or outside the van.

--All back windows tinted.

At the moment we still use the standard fold down rear bed, so we have the option of carrying 4 passengers. Later the bed will be removed to make way for locking storage but for now I have two bins that slide perfectly under the front edge of the bed (for food stove etc).

It adds up to a nice clean usable unit, no squeaks or rattles even on fire roads (except of course the dash, why does VW use such cheap plastic!?)

If the project is ever actually "done" I'll post pics somewhere.

Richard

85 vanagon, 4spd.

[text/html]