Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:48:18 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Springs & Weights
Comments: To: Per Lindgren <LINDGRE@ONLINE.NO>
Comments: cc: Syncro <Syncro@onelist.com>

Per, you are amazing! Thanks. Now what's the average weight of these? A mystery in itself. Here's what i'm thinking, with my crude math skills.

The mean between the lightest (3388lbs) and heaviest (4180lbs) syncros listed is 3,784 pounds (sorry, but i forgot to convert to kg. while doing the math). The westy weighs about 310lbs. more than the mean, or 8.2% more. So, if (a big assumption) the stock syncro springs were designed for this mean weight, the westy should ideally have springs 8.2% stiffer, assuming that the spring rate calculation for the mean weight is the ideal rate for suspension performance for my use of the vehicle. Maybe a little stiffer for more off road use, depending on the type of off roading.

If you throw out the two extremes, the mean weight is 3822lbs, with the westy 270 lbs heavier, or 7% heavier, and thus ideally needing springs 7% stiffer. Remember, VW made different springs for the various 2wd models, but not for the syncros, probably because of the limited number they made.

Now if only i could find (1) stock spring rate for new springs, and (2) that lost post where someone listed the acceptable range of suspension sag...the amount that the vehicle sags the suspension under it's own weight. This is another vital spec, at least as a starting point. The sag will increase with age as the springs lose some spring, thus our current sags are not likely to spec. On motocross bikes, sag is about 30% of travel. (I don't even know what full range of travel is...anyone have their front springs out so they can measure the full range of travel?) The sag is important because when you get it right, you get optimum use of all available suspension travel.

I am going to come up with specs for springs I want and then put in a limited order at Betts. I still need to try out Marks' springs again, with Peter's help, since he has them installed. Stay tuned, i am not sure yet how this is going to shake out, but will by this time next week. I want to get the order in by May 1. This will not be for lift springs. steve