Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:55:52 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1982 Diesel Intermittent Start Problem (extensive experience)
Comments: To: DStewart@chrm.com

Got to weigh in here.

My Diesel/now GTi Westfalia Vanagon and I have been together since 14 miles were on the odometer and it was delivered to me in July of 1982 in Weidenbruck. The number of starters this beast has eaten would make a substantial pile next to the garage. The first two were replaced under warranty. Although I am writing this without access to my records, the average time between replacements runs about 1 year and ranges from 9 months to 14 months. New or rebuilt - statistically insignificant. Identity of rebuilder - Bosch, Autolight, Herbie's Super Starter Service --- only the cost varies.

Oh yes, I have replaced the starter switch twice, once on warranty, once by myself. No impact on the statistics. More than 5 years ago, I added a heavy duty solenoid right next to the starter and long ago I rewired the van with number 2 gauge wire from the battery to the front fuse box, from the battery to starter and solenoid, number 8 wire from the starter switch to the intermediate solenoid, and number 4 wire to the starter solenoid from the intermediate solenoid. I have added heat shields to safeguard the starter from undue thermal stress. I have even argued to the wife that I changed out the diesel and put in the 1.8 L 8V GTi gasoline engine to reduce the stress on the starter (compression difference)! Interesting dismissive expressions generated by wives, BTW.

In all of this only two things have reminded me of the inexorable passage of time: taxes and Vanagon starter replacement. When we purchased our Ford Expedition (wife's car) I was in panic that it couldn't be obtained (at that time) with manual transmission. How will we be able to start it when the starter fails? I asked the salesman.

With new modification, I remain convinced that I have now defeated the starter eating monster. However, when I am least prepared (too painful to relate) I again encounter the dead key syndrome. Saturated with wifely abuse about the reliability of this machine (I try to tell her its only an engineering prototype) I again try to trouble shoot the problem. Initially, after the perfunctory drift start, the problem won't reoccur for 10 or more starting episodes, then 1 in 5 finally 10 to 1. Nonreproducibility has been directly related to the availability of time and test equipment. Generally, DVM in hand, remote starter switch and Vanagon in air, I will find that the starter terminal shows 12 volts to ground and no spin!. Replace starter, 0.25 volts to ground and starter spinning!

After taking the starter off and testing again, it often reads a fraction of an ohm to case ground. (It was open on the engine). Looking at the brushes and the commutator, one sees one or more burned segments.

So: 1) I always keep a spare starter. I have gone to Autolight rebuilds because the foolishly offer a lifetime warranty. Haven't paid for the last three starters. Typical personnel turnover at my local Flaps, minimizes the chance encounter with a counterman with gifted memory.

2) I have brought a set of taps out to a switchable voltmeter (same one used by Darrell in the Digitool. One line monitors the voltage at the ignition switch addressable terminal, the second measures the voltage at the starter solenoid, a third monitors the voltage at the starter power terminal, a fourth measures the voltage drop across the line from switch to starter, a fifth measures the voltage drop from power terminal on the starter to the starter case.

Just waiting for this SOB to fail again.

To summarize, my general key failure is always repaired by starter replacement. I claim nearly 19 replacements. After each replacement, no subsequent failure for at least 6 months. Appears to be a burning of internal contacts caused by ... I don't know. The starter is always dry, never covered in oil. It is always tightly bolted down. Often, poor contacts have seemed to be a problem at the starter, but by the time of repeated failure, the starter has been damaged. Alistair Bell and I have gone around about this and his experience is different.

Caveat: I am only discussing the original issue Diesel Vanagon manual trans starter. Diesel or gas engine, no difference.

Advice: Buy rebuilt starter from local Flaps. Buy the least expensive one that comes with a lifetime warranty. Buy two and pay the core charge if they have a foolish special. Next practice .. under the car, release the case bolts, undo the clutch locator bar, off with the power leads (you remembered to disconnect the battery, right), rotate to clear clutch slave mount, down with the old, in with the new. Usually takes 15 to 20 minutes. Longer if raining, much longer if wife has some comments to make (often decidedly unconstructive).

Sorry for the length. Had considered an entry for the sticker contest in which an outline of the starter with the international null symbol would be the graphic highlight, but the wife thought it was too subtle.

Hope this helps other victims.

Frank Grunthaner