Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:51:30 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Paulchen Bike Rack Setup Question
Comments: To: "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>

Anthony:

I installed a Paulchen last summer and experienced the same 1/2" gap you are talking about. I found that it disappeared if I mounted a bike on the rack, so I just went ahead and tightened the thumbscrews all the way down with a couple of bikes mounted on there. I have had it off 6 times or so in the last 6 months, and it all appears to be working beautifully.

As to those little extender legs, I have not used them. The only reason I would be likely to use them is if I was going to carry a 100lb ice chest full of stuff back there. (Maybe this weekend!). I have carried two bikes and misc. junk strapped to the rack on a 3,000+ trip last summer, without those bumper supports, over some very rough roads, without a single problem.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Anthony L. Mourkas > Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 5:34 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Paulchen Bike Rack Setup Question > > > I spent the earlier part of this evening setting up a > Paulchen bike rack > I purchased used on my 84 Westy. When I tighten the brass thumbwheel > screws that secure the lower brackets to the rack, they > become very tight > with about .4" remaining space betwwen the upper edge of the > bracket and > the lower bar on the rack. Is this the way the design is > supposed to be? > How tight do you Paulchen owners tighten these screws? > > Also after mounting the rack to the hatch I attached the two > auxilliary > legs that rest on the bumper. These did not seem to be able to be > adjusted downward firmly enough to be actually supporting part of the > weight. Should I set these up *before* tightening the above mentioned > bracket mounting screws and let the screws pull things together and > create a little tension? > > Thanks for your help! > > Tony > > Anthony L. Mourkas > Hampden, Maine, USA >

[text/html]