Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:23:31 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Bidding on manuals on ebay
Comments: To: Syncro@onelist.com

With all the talk of tech manuals, I thought I would mention 16 more obscure factory manuals for Vanagon that exist (yes, I have them.) Take a look at the list I reproduced off my hard drive, and which appear toward the middle and end of this email. After you have contemplated these, you will realize that I am trying to qualify for the fanatic award when you find out I have another 23 neat things like this. Some day I will post what the other 23 are. As I said in my other email, the first item, which is also the item being auctioned at ebay, is available at the dealer so there is no reason to pay $61 for it.

Do I qualify for the award?

>At 03:21 AM 4/13/00 -0000, Warren Chapman wrote: > >>>> >Today I made a couple of bids for Vanagon/Syncro tech manuals on ebay >and (not suprised) I see I am bidding against other members of this >list (Coyote, Brent Christenson, and(??)others) > >These manuals are valuable to us all and this process just drives the >price up for the winning bidder and the manual is lost to the rest of >us ......a "Win (at higher cost)/ Lose" situation. > >I'd like to propose a "Win (at lower cost)/ Win situation". > >When one of these manuals (or parts microfiches) comes available, >could we agree on a designated bidder who will bid (and hopefully >win) and obtain the item and then make a copy available to others. >This may not step on copyright laws if the item is an out of print >factory issue item. (Opinions on this??) > >It would be great if there could be a main "librarian" who could be >the keeper of the manuals and have them available to list >members for a reasonable fee. > >If members think this is a good idea, I would volunteer to do this >for a period of one year and see how it goes. I will bid on ebay, or >purchase items that any list member wishes to sell (if prices are >reasonable). I will keep a running account of the cost of each item >and post the available list and cost of the item to the list and >figure out a system (with input from you all) on how to make them >(legally) available. Factory Training Manual Describing 1986+ Upgrades To Vanagon (1986-1991) Title/Item: "1986 Vanagon and Vanagon Syncro; Service Training" Application: All 1986-1991 Vanagon Length: 65 pages Publisher: Volkswagen Factory Intended For: Factory Trained Mechanics Description: This really cool book was meant to familiarize factory trained Vanagon mechanics with the changes to the Vanagon that were introduced during the 1986 year. As it is written to increase retention of key facts among VW's own employees it is a valuable tool for the owner to familiarize himself with the components of his vehicle. Covered are the engine, the lubrication system, the cooling system, the fuel supply system, the Digifant system, fuel injection components, system checks, idle stabilizer, emission controls, four-wheel-drive parts, front axle final drive, viscous coupling, transmission, rear differential lock, drive train protection, front suspension, tire and wheel specifications, corrosion protection, air conditioning components, power windows, power mirrors, special tools, special tools for four wheel drive, etc. Recommendation: I love this book and highly recommend to anyone with an 86-91 Vanagon whether you plan to fix your vehicle yourself or not. It is even interesting for those with an earlier Vanagon since most of what is in this book can be added to the earlier vans.

Factory Fuel Injection Training Manual--Digifant; 1988 Edition Title/Item: "Digifant I/DigifantII ProTraining" Vanagon Manual 1988, Digifant Application: 1986-1991 Vanagon Length: about 50 pages Publisher: Volkswagen Factory Intended For: Factory mechanics Description: This is a really cool manual intended to train VW mechanics in how to diagnose problems and repair fuel injection on Vanagons with 2.1 litre Vanagons with Digifant. This version of the manual is slightly later and more up to date than the similar 1987 edition. But each has slightly different information so I am glad to have both. Recommendation: Highly Recommended.

Factory Fuel Injection Training Manual--Digifant; 1987 Edition Title/Item: "Vanagon/Type II Fuel Systems; ProTraining" Manual 1987, Digifant Application: 1986-1991 Vanagon Length: 48 Publisher: Volkswagen Factory Intended For: Factory mechanics Description: This is a really cool manual intended to train VW mechanics in how to diagnose problems and repair fuel injection on Vanagons with 2.1 litre Vanagons with Digifant. There is a later edition of this manual which is more up to date and therefore might be better than this one. But each has slightly different information so I am glad to have both. Recommendation: Recommended.

Factory Price Book Title/Item: "World-Wide Volkswagen Corp; Parts & Accessories; May 29, 1990" Application: All VW & all Audi. Length: About 240 pages Publisher: Volkswagen Factory Intended For: Internal use only; to be kept secret from the public. Description: A list of the price to buy all parts sold by Volkswagen/Audi arranged by part number. Given are the price the dealer has to pay for the part and the suggested retail price he sells the part to you for. Recommendation: You would want this book if you wanted a general guide to the price of a Volkswagen part for which you already have the part number. This book is dated 1990 so actual current prices will be higher than those given in this book. If you have a "microfiche reader" you may be able to bribe someone at a dealer to get a more recent version. This document is secret and dealers won't give them out to the public because they don't want to public to see their costs.

Factory Spray Wax Rustproofing Instructions Title/Item: "Application Instructions; Cavity and Underbody Preservation" Application: All Volkswagen Length: 12 pages Publisher: Volkswagen Factory Intended For: Dealership personnel Description: This is a 12 page booklet which describes how to apply wax preservation material to the inner cavities of your Volkswagen. Pictures are of a sedan but include pictures of factory parts and sprays that you would use. Photocopy. This is an official factory booklet. Useful for some of the part numbers. Recommendation: Of only passing interest.

Factory Fuel Injection Training Manual--Digijet: 1987 Edition Title/Item: "Vanagon/Type II Fuel Systems; ProTraining" Manual 1987, Digijet Application: 1983-1985 Vanagon Length: 48 Publisher: Volkswagen Factory Intended For: Factory mechanics Description: This is a really cool manual intended to train VW mechanics in how to diagnose problems and repair fuel injection on Vanagons with 1.9 litre Vanagons with Digijet. Recommendation: Highly recommended.

Factory Air-Cooled VW Van Fuel Injection Training Manual: 1987 Edition Title/Item: "Vanagon/Type II Fuel Systems; ProTraining" Manual 1987, A.F.C. Application: 1980-1982 Vanagon and all VW Bus with Fuel Injection (1975-1979 bus) Length: 48 Publisher: Volkswagen Factory Intended For: Factory mechanics Description: This is a really cool manual intended to train VW mechanics in how to diagnose problems and repair fuel injection on air-cooled Busses and Vanagons. Recommendation: Highly recommended if you have one of these models.

Vanagon 83-95 Introductory Factory Repair Manual For Factory Trained Technicians Title/Item: "Water-Cooled Vanagon; Introductory Service Information" Application: Vanagon 83-85 With 1.9 Litre Engine Length: 45 pages Description: This is a book that was issued to familiarize factory mechanics with the new Vanagons introduced in the 1983 model year. It is similar to the book "1986 Vanagon and Vanagon Syncro; Service Training" except that it is for the 1.9 litre Digijet Vanagons instead of the 2.1 litre Digijet Vanagons. Covered are the enigine, librication system, cooling system, fuel injection system, exhaust, ignition, transmission, and special tools. See also the "Vanagon 83-95 Maintenance And Adjustments For Factory Technicians" book which is a sister book to this one. Recommendation: A very nice primer for owners of these vans. Recomended even though much of the information is similar to that in Bentley.

Vanagon 83-95 Maintenance And Adjustments For Factory Technicians Title/Item: "Water-Cooled Vanagon; Maintenance And Adjustments; Introductory Service Information" Application: Vanagon 83-85 With 1.9 Litre Engine Length: 100 pages Description: This is a sort of mini repair manual, just for the 83-85 Vanagons. Covered are the enigine, librication system, cooling system, fuel injection system, exhaust, ignition, transmission, special tools and wiring diagrams. See also the "Vanagon 83-95 Introductory Factory Repair Manual For Factory Trained Technicians" book which is a sister book to this one. These two tooks were issued back when the vans to which they apply were the current models. This book was intended for factory trained technicians working in Volkswagen dealerships. Recommendation: Much of the information in this book is similar to that in Bentley so this book may not be needed. On the other hand, it is nice to have a repair manual dedicated to your car and having closeups of only your systems.

Factory Paint & BodyShop Materials Manual Title/Item: "Refinishing Guide" printed 2/87 Application: All Volkswagen Length: 91 pages Description: The four main sections of this manual are: Assessment of Paintwork; Paints and Procedures, Material Technical Data and Chemicals and Adhesives. Covered are structure of the metallic paintwork, corrosion proection, factory chemical baths, assessment of corrosion damage, assessment of paint defects, surface corrosion, edge/fold rust, rust perforation/pitting, inadequate adhesion, overspray, etc,; PVC applications, cavity wax soiling, analysis of paint zones, prepping and painting, sanding, primers and sealers, painting plastic parts, spot repair and blending, paint shop and equipment, spray guns, spray patterns; technical data on various lines of VW paint; and chemical sprays and adhesives, such as various waxes, zincs, libricants, and locking compounds, all with part numbers. Recommendation: This manual is highly recomended if you are interested in the paint on your Volkswagen or in some of the special compounds and substances VW sells for corrosion protection. It is very detailed and colorful and contains information available nowhere else. Some copies of this manual might still be lying around at your VW dealer. If so, you are best off buying the manual there because it is chock full of color pictures and the photocopy does not really do it justice.

Vanagon Factory Advisories, Mid-Early 1980s Title/Item: Service Circulars, 1982-1985 Application: Earlier Vanagons Length: 61 Pages Description: These are advisories the factory issued to its dealers about the air-cooled, Diesels, and 1983-1985 water-cooled Vanagons, although some of this may apply to later Vanagons as well. Included are, Maintenance Schedule and Predelivery Inspection sheets for the following vehicles: Vanagon Diesels, 1983 vehicles, 1984 vehicles, and 1985 vehicles; Replace Vanagon Coolant Pump; Suggested Repair Times for Vanagon Diesel (for various repair operations); Fuel Filter Replacement Schedule 1985; 1985 Suggested Repair Times Vanagon SRT/PI Manual; Vanagon Water Cooled Engine Training; Power Accessories Training Booklet; Vanagon Water-Cooled Dealer Installed air Conditioning Instructions. Recommendation: This set is for the true enthusiast only because none of these Service Circulars contain a great deal of information. But it is nice to see the Predelivery instructions for these vans because you can sort of follow along and redo these just the way the factory envisioned a mechanic would do them when the vehicle was new. I found the bulletin on dealer installed air conditiong interesting as it had various part numbers dealers would have to install to prepare for the conversion.

Factory "Driveability" Guide To Common Vanagon Problems & Fixes Title/Item: "Solving Driveability Complaints; Service Information; Vanagon With Digifant" Application: Vanagon, 1986 and up Length: 9 Description: This little gem of a book is one of the later items to be published about common Vanagon problems and fixes. It covers various common tests that you would conduct right away when presented with a problem: check ignition system; install harness on volume air flow sensor; ignition timing, idle speed, CO content, etc. Recommendation: Highly recomended. Cost To Borrow/Cost To Keep: Factory "Driveability" Guide To Common Eurovan Problems & Fixes Title/Item: "Solving Driveability Complaints; Service Information; Eurovan" Application: Eurovan Length: 11 Description: Eurovan problems and fixes. It covers various common tests that you would conduct right away when presented with a problem: check ignition system; Digifant checks, ignition timing, idle speed, CO content, etc. Recommendation: Recomended.

Factory Vanagon 1367 Tester Manual Title/Item: "Ignition Tester VW 1367; Operating Instructions" Application: Most Vanagons; Many Other Volkswagens Length: 55 pages Description: This is the manual the VW factory issued to cover operation and use of the official engine tester for the Vanagon, the 1367 tester. This tester is too expensive for the casual do-it-yourselfer, but you can find used ones. I paid $35 for mine at auction. Included with the manual is an 8 page brochure describing the tester called "The Engine Tester." This brochure is meant to entice dealers into feeling good about forking over $1,200 to buy the 1367. Recommendation: If you covet a 1367 tester, then you want this manual.

Factory Remanufactured Parts Circulars Title/Item: Product Circulars On Remanufactured Parts Application: All Vanagon Length: 74 Description: This is a series of notices from the factory to dealers about remanufactuerd parts. It tells them how to package items for return to VW for rebuilding. It also has part numbers for these parts, including: engines, diesels, water pumps, cylinder head, transmissions, flywheel, oil cooler, injection pump, pressure plate, vacume pump, crankshaft, steering racks, power steeering, brakes, drive shafts, alternators, starters, etc. Recommendation: These pages are disappointingly scanty in terms of the amount of information provided per page. It is nice to have a catalog of parts that you can buy remanufactured, though.

Factory Cruise Control Workbook (late model) Title/Item: "Volkswagen Cruise Control; In-Dealership Training; Leader's Guide" Application: All Volkswagen with Cruise Control; e.g.; 1988 and up Vanagon" Length: 17 pages Description: A workbook that the mechanics in a dealership use to train themselves in the operation and repair of the cruise control system. This booklet is thin as far as content goes. Recommendation: Not a goldmine of information. Cost To Borrow/Cost To Keep: Factory Multimeter Workbook Title/Item: "Tips On How to Use A Multimeter; In-Dealership Training; Leader's Guide" Application: All cars. Length: 22 Description: A workbook that mechanics in a dealership use to train themselves in the operation of a multimeter with Volkswagen vehicles. Covered are such things as voltage check, drop voltage check, amperage check, milliamp check, and a series of pictures showing various connection methods. By the way, the official VW multimeter is Fluke Model 83, or the same model jazzed up for automotive use, Model 88. Recommendation: The subject is worth reviewing although the material in this guide is not new. This guide is a little thin in the content area.

Factory Cruise Control Manual (1978) Title/Item: "Electronic Auto-Cruise, For Porsche, Audi, Volkswagen; Shop Service Manual" published 1978 Application: uncertain; appears to be for 1970s era vehicles Length: 10 Description: early cruise control manual Recommendation: up to you

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY CEO & Co-Founder www.ConsumerSearch.com 80 South Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10038 derekdrew@consumersearch.com drew@interport.net 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home).