Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:31:29 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: help with brakes in SF.
Comments: To: Amy Silberman <asilber@SIRIUS.COM>

Amy:

If you are just talking about changing the pads and/or shoes, then you are talking about a pretty easy job. (especially the front pads).

The next items to consider are the condition of the rotors and drums. Do you know how many miles they have on them? If you have not replaced them within the last couple of "brake jobs" you should probably consider replacing them. Luckily, the parts are pretty cheap. (about $40 each). If your brake pedal "pulsates" while you are braking, this is due to the rotors or drums being warped (probably the rotors) If this is the case, you are best off to replace rather than machine them.

Another item to consider is the rear wheel cylinders. If these are "weeping" from the seals (or if there is evidence of leakage anywhere near them) they should be replaced. Very easy, and at $20 each, too cheap to bother rebuilding.

Lastly, you may consider rebuilding the calipers. This is inexpensive (about $10 per side as I recall), but a major PITA the first time around (until you figure it out). You will need an assortment of clamps, pliers, maybe a bench vise, compressed air, and some manual dexterity to do it. If you are a timid novice, this is probably the only part of the brake job I would steer you away from. (It can be very frustrating trying to get the piston back in and lined up properly) You also need to be able to compress it without damaging the seals, which is tricky with the Vanagon calipers.

One final note:

I definitely recommend going to Sears (or a FLAPS) and buying three tools:

1. ($5) Brake spoon for adjusting the rear brakes (you will have to grind part of it away so that it will fit into the little slot in the brake backing plate)

2. Retaining spring compressor ($5) This little gizmo has two round ends that you use to push down the little round retaining clips to get the shoes off the rear backing plates. Don't lose the pins that come in from the rear of the backing plates!! They don't seem like they come out at first, but if you rotate them, you can remove them and put them somewhere safe. (I use a nifty magnetic-backed stainless steel bowl from Sears)

3. Spring stretcher/remover ($5). This little guy has one end with a little hook, an s-shaped bend, and a round opening on the other end with a little flange that sticks out. This is the most indispensable brake tool you can own, IMHO, since removing and replacing springs on rear brakes is REALLY frustrating without one.

Don't bother with the "plier" type combo brake tool. While very useful on larger domestic Bendix-type rear brakes, I have found it useless on the little Vanagon rear brakes.

You can often buy all the above tools in a "kit" for about $20 or so. I highly recommend the investment. While it is possible to do a rear brake job with screwdrivers and needle-nose pliers, the ease with which it can be done with the proper tools is well worth the $20.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Amy Silberman > Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 11:39 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: help with brakes in SF. > > > I am thinking of doing the brake repairs we need done on our '90 Carat > myself. Does anyone live in San Francisco that would be interested in > giving me some help (pointers, advice, emergency help, etc.) > when I try > and tackle this job? > Amy S. > 415.207.6147 (pager) >

[text/html]